Tires

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by kbleger, Aug 5, 2016.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Mine are wearing great (but I get them rotated almost monthly, with my oil changes). Sucks you are having a bad experience with them. Mine still don't get the traction the A/T2s got, or the General Grabbers got.

2. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I think I am going General Grabber AT2 next time......which will be soon. I'll get through the winter.....

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Cooper Discovery AT3's here. Just over 10,000 miles and about half-worn (to me, 1/16" tread depth is worn out). Quiet, no cupping, even wear, good off-road traction, good price. Will probably replace with another set of the same.

4. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

Your Cooper's are half worn at 10,000 miles and you will replace with another set? 20K on a set of AT's is not good! No way I'd replace with a tire that wears that fast.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

While I agree with that, who knows how he drives. Maybe 10,000 miles halfway in is the best he has ever gotten. I know I got 45k+ on my AT3's, but I have a lot of curves in my daily drives, and a 'fair' amount of dirt roads.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Put a full set of Falken Wildpeak AT3w on the older pickup this morning. Good price, good looking tire. Quiet on the 65mph ride home. We'll see what my opinion is after 20k miles as far as wear and traction is concerned.

7. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Anyone living in the more northern states that have experience with heavy snow and an opinion on the General Grabbers in the winter? Need something with good traction in the snow/fields that can also serve as a strong set of daily drivers. I was leaning KO2's until reading here and seeing the love for GG's, looking at them the reviews are good and the price is a lot nicer too, especially for 20's.

8. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

General Tires are known for desert racing, so probably won't make a great snow tire. Check out Wrangler duratrac- it's a solid all around tire rated commercial grade.

9. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

I'm not a fan of General's in the snow. My last truck came with Grabbers and they were simply awful in the snow. For an affordable AT, I always had luck with Firestone Destination AT's. they handle the snow decent and had fair off road traction. I've heard great things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers G2's as well from guys around here. I've never run them. The Wrangler Duratrac's are decent, but I always had wear issues with them so I stopped running them. My current truck has Mickey Thompson's on it. I'll see how those handle this winter, but they are PRICEY.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've tried the following on my truck: Nitto Terra Grapplers, General Grabber A/T2s, Cooper Discoverer A/T2s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. I'm gonna probably try the BFG A/T KO2s next. About $400 more a set, but they are supposed to last a while. We'll see... I get about 30-40K out of a set.