Tohatsu 25 HP

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by hightech1953, May 24, 2018.

1. hightech1953

hightech1953 Senior Refuge Member

Because I got a super deal on this one.

2. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

As much as i know, at least my Suzuki 30HP 2017, there is no difference in the 25 vs 30HP.
    it is not like 2 stroke where usually the main difference was the carb in 25-30 models giving you power immediately.
    They just map them differently, 30HP can make higher RPMs hence increased power, IMO you will not feel the difference in lower than 5500 RPM

Edit:
    Just looked at the specs of Tohatsu 25 vs 30HP, they are different motors
    Displacement: 492cc vs. 526cc
    Bore & Stroke: 59 x 60mm vs. 61 x 60mm

You can try and remap it if you know how to do it, but really, does it worth it?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. hightech1953

hightech1953 Senior Refuge Member

where did you find these specs at ?

4. CA Hunter

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. Duramacr'

Duramacr' New Member

Hey buddy , I just bought a 2018 30hp
    Tohatsu . It’s a long shaft all manual.
    I took Danny’s advice on his 25hp tohatsu testing and for an extra 400 bucks I had to go with the 30hp.
    The 30hp has a different camshaft I think . Anyway, I’ve got a 1542 tracker riveted . The boat weighs around 230 dry with wood flooring I put in. It’s has a 16.5 inch transom so I had to install a mini jacker to raise the engine up another 4 inches . Just broke it in yesterday and I don’t break it like the manual says . I actually break it in hard just like a car engine . Been doing this for years and engines always seem to run better after it’s broken in. So it was me , my 2 buddies . Total weight between the 3 of us was 670lbs . I hit 33mph , prop was a 13 pitch and I was running at 5700. It was obvious that I had too much prop for 3 people . So I dropped 1 guy off , the 220 lber. The rpm jumped to 6000
    Rpm and I hit 35mph . I had the one passenger sit in the middle and then once I plane he moves to the back seat which adds 2mphs. Keep in mind we still had a cooler full of beer and water , plus anchor , rods , 5 gallons of Gas. Then I drop the other guy off right before we were leaving and I go solo . I get on it and the boat went straight up in the air and wouldn’t even plane . Had to ease into it and move my way forward to plane and then I got on it .
    It went 38 and rpm jumped to 6200 which is right under the max limit on the motor . But it was basically uncontrollable at the speed . I recommend only that speed on flat water . Bottom line is I’m going down to a 12 pitch Amita 3 to get the rpm’s up with a load . Also I still have to raise the motor because it is still 1 inch below the keel. I’m gonna end of getting another boat anyway, this is too much motor for the boat . Need a 21 inch transom . This motor is to heavy in the back for this boat. Hope this helps

6. CA Hunter