Tohatsu 75hp 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dave Adamson, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Dave Adamson

Dave Adamson Refuge Member

I've been searching for months for a 75hp 2 stroke Merc to replace my 2009 50hp Merc 2 stroke. I built a hardsided aluminum blind on my boat last year and the 50 just doesn't cut it with 2 or more people and my 2011 Lowe 1760sc is rated for a 75hp but I don't want a 4 stroke because I don't think that would really out perform the 50. So back to my topic I see Tohatsu actually makes a 2 stroke and I was wondering if any one has any experience with there mid range 2 stroke. I've never owned any thing but a Merc and I don't want to buy new but I'm afraid I'll run out of time before the season gets here and I've sold the 50 and won't be able to fish once it's gone. As far as overpowering like the thread below mine I've been told that the State Parks personal in Utah are sticklers for obeying the manufactures tag.

2. metalworx

metalworx Refuge Member

Can't speak for a 75 "hottie", but own a 50 direct injection 2str Tohatsu. I have owned all Mercury's before this mtr, and didn't want to go the 4str route on our hard sided full length boat blind. I have two complaints with the mtr, and both are associated with cold weather operations. The first is the cooling circuit, with the telltale (pisser) coming off the air compressor. It has a tendency to freeze and causes the overheat alarm to go off until it thaws out. (Overheat sensor is in air compressor). Only other issue was that it wouldn't start year last one morning when temp was at 0°. Battery was fully charged and exceeds the 850 ca requirements of this mtr. I'm thinking of it had been in a heated building before launch time that it would've started. Hope this helps.

Metalworx

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Buy a new sticker for it, you can find them on ebay.
    I'm sure with a little web searching you could have one made to your spec's.:yes
    Here you go, I'm bored tonight.
    https://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html

Dave Adamson likes this.
  4. Dave Adamson

Now that Callinfowl has solved my over powering issue I've started looking at 90hp motors but I'm still not seeing anything in my area. I found these on eBay. I know that yamaha's a good motor and I've heard a lot of pros and cons on that etec mostly that they're really hard to work on and I've heard the same thing on the optimax but those are the only two stroke options I can find. I also think going 90 horse four stroke would solve my power issue. Does anyone out there have experience with the optimax or etec?
    2011 yamaha f90lz . $7650
    2013 Merc opimax 90hp $6800
    2009 Etec 90hpDFI $4250
    New 2015 Merc 90hp efi 4s $7800

5. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My buddy has a 75 tiller Etec and it flat out runs on his Roughneck 1960, granted it does not have a hard sided blind. When fully loaded with a couple hundred supermags you can not really tell if has a load on. One downside I have seen is it is very sensitive in mud or sand. Just a little in the pump and it shuts down to idle.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Have you considered the weight of your new motor?
    There's a big difference between a 75 2-stroke and a 90 4-stroke.....

7. nharold

nharold Refuge Member

I had an older 65hp Tohatsu on my 1860 boat before I put a gator tail on it. With 2 guys and gear it was scary fast. I only went half throttle. It's got a lot of power. The impeller is out now but may get it going for the pontoon blind.

8. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

E-tec 75 = 320 pounds
    Tohatsu 75 2-stroke = 337 pounds
    Mercury 90 4-stroke = 359 pounds
    Mercury Optimax 90 = 375 pounds

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If I might ask, OP... Why do you think a 2T motor will outperform a 4T of the same HP rating? I'm not saying you are incorrect. But my experience is that new 4T motors compare nicely to 2Ts. When I made the 4T conversion while I was riding motocross, I had the same reservations, until I took it to the track. It was night-and-day better. Way more low end, and just as much top end.

10. Dave Adamson

Well after a lot of soul-searching and debate I pulled the trigger on a 2018 Merc 90hp 4-stroke. Dealer support was one big factor but after talking to a local dealer that I've had a lot of experience with he convinced me that four-stroke was the way to go and to quit spinning my wheels looking for something I was never going to find.

Lastflight and stevena198301 like this.