Tohatsu 75hp 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dave Adamson, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

let us know what you think of it once you get it broke in!

2. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I have a 2015 Mercury 90 4-stroke on my boat. I am highly confident you will love the motor.

3. hightech1953

hightech1953 Senior Refuge Member

I have a 90 Yamaha 2009 2 stroke and it is bullet proof.

4. Dave Adamson

Dave Adamson Senior Refuge Member

I decided to save some cash and install the motor myself, I picked it up Tuesday Morning from the dealer and it actually took me longer to uncrate it than it did to install it on the boat. It fired right up with the muffs on it I haven't had a chance to get it out on the water yet but I can hardly wait. 0703181813.jpg

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

If you haven’t already make sure there’s oil in her! They ship
    them dry but I’m sure you’re dealer told you about that. Good luck, that’s a nice motor.

6. Dave Adamson

Actually merc ships big motors wet I confirmed it with the dealer this morning but I obviously checked it Tuesday afternoon after I installed it before I fired it up on the earmuffs

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Interesting. Yamaha won’t and the pair of merc 300 Verados we just got in on a Blackfin were dry. Just saying ... but glad you were cognizant about it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. Dave Adamson

Here's an update on my prop testing. My friend had a new 14"x 15p 3 blade aluminum that I put on and ran last week I could barely get it up to 25 miles per hour at about half throttle not sure the RPMs as my tach hasn't shown up yet. While doing some research I found a great tool that Turning Point props has where you just put your boat information in and they'll give you several suggestions on props. They suggested a 13x19p 4 blade and a 13.25 x 17p 3 blade, luckily both were available through Amazon Prime, both props and a hub kit arrived today I threw the four blade on the motor grabbed the three blade and headed for my local hunting area. The four blade at just over half throttle with just myself and the dog was running 53 mph according to my Gps, I haven't received my tach I ordered yet so I just kind of took it easy and ran it for 10 or 15 minutes at 35 to 50mph. I ran back into the shore and put the three blade on and headed back out and wow, now I'm wondering how accurate my GPS really is when its showing 55mph and the engines just purring at half throttle. I took it up to 60mph and cruised around for another 30 minutes using the Mercury break in recommendations and then loaded her up and headed home. I plan on going back up Saturday with a couple friends to check both props with a little bigger load. I'm definitely overpowered with an empty boat but once I put my hard-sided blind on and throw two or three people my dog and gear the numbers will change.

9. Dave Adamson

I forgot to mention I did download the Mercury vesselview app onto my phone tonight and plan on using that for more accurate numbers on Saturday and through the break-in period.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:eek:

We had a 150 Verado on a 24' poontoon. That boat would flat-out SCREAM (for a 'toon)! I'd hate to know what a 300 could do! I made 45MPH in it with just me one night on flat water.