Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Too Late to Mount?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Reel Deal, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Reel Deal

Reel Deal New Member

Just realized I have a Giant Drake Mallard in my freezer from 2 seasons ago. Cant Believe I forgot about it. Can I still have it mounted?

2. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Sure if he was wrapped up well I actually have had a bird mounted I shot 4 years before I mounted it and it was fine but it really needs to be wrapped up correctly to keep it from ruining in the freezer

3. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

I had a couple of birds in the freezer for 4 years before I took them in. I do put them in a vacuum seal bag and pull some air out (not all) then seal the bag.

4. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Curious as to why you only pull out "some" of the air?

As for the 2 year old bird, as other have suggested, if it was wrapped well, ie. in a good plastic freezer type bag (or two) with as much air removed as possible, and in a good freezer (not the over-the-fridge type) it should be fine.... remember, it will probably sit in a taxidermist's freezer another year so he/she will most likely need to prep the bird well prior to storing it in the freezer again. If it's wrapped in paper or a grocery bag, or a nylon stocking ....most likely not going to make it but a competent taxidermist would be able to tell you if/when you drop if off.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

You can ruin feathers in a heartbeat if you let the machine complete the vacuum cycle.

6. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

This is the reason why I don't.

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

What kind of feather damage have you experienced?

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  8. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I don't think I would waste the vacuum packets if your like me my wife seems to collect plastic bags from the store so I use them like crazy and some good tape my taxidermist told me it was like opening a prank present. But he also said he thinks that they would probably be good for years. He also showed me a bird that was his and ended up in the bottom of freezer for 5 years he soaked it in dawn and water in refrigerator for two weeks and you couldn't tell it was ever frost bitten. Finished job looked great also

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  9. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Bringing this thread alive. I shot my first widgeon and blue wing and I want to get them mounted. Would storing them in double freezer zip locks for a few days while I find a taxidermist be OK?

10. Grandfowl

Grandfowl Senior Refuge Member

Packaging your ducks that way is perfect and a few days is fine. :tu