Topper/camper shell

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Rice Hunter, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Looking for a shell for my 2009 f150.

Not interested in a cover, really want the "old man topper" as my wife calls it.

Here's the thing, I'd use it only from Oct to Jan. Then, I'd like it off. Soooooo, I'd like one that I could remove easily and store. Does such a thing exist? Recommendations? Experiences? Good/Bad.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I put mine on in October and it comes off in March. It's an ARE fiberglass topper with windoors and sliding vents as well as upgraded lighting. In the off season it's stored here

Attached Files:

Tuleman and stevena198301 like this.
  3. Rice Hunter

Good stuff. Easy to get on and off? Secure? Any features you'd like other than what you have?

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

@thatguy2; on top of @Rice Hunter questions... How does the lighting connect back to the truck? Added pigtail at the back glass?

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I've got 12 ft ceilings in the garage. It's solid. I usually have my SxS parked underneath it. It's a Harken Hoister. Getting it off is easy. Lining things up when putting it back on takes a little work. Then you have to slightly pick up the cap to get the strap out from underneath. Only done it once so, I should get better at it every time.

The lights were hard wired. I cut them then added quality spade connectors. The ones still in the truck are electrical taped individually, then tightly together to keep moisture out.

Windoors are a must on any topper. For a hunter I think the upgraded lighting is worth it's weight. This is the first topper I have had the vented windoors. Haven't fully decided if they were worth it yet.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Just put put a fiberglass topper on my Silverado. Putting a topper on or taking it off is at least a two-man job unless you have a hoist like Thatguy. Storing it is easy if you have someplace to put it.
    I have two pickups with toppers now. I like the cheap AA battery-powered lights in the toppers; I've seen two many guys take off early in the morning forgetting to turn the interior lighting off and come back after the hunt to a dead truck battery. I don't like worrying about whether I turned the lights off while I'm hunting...

Get one that's lockable if at all possible. You can save half to two-thirds the price of a new unit by buying used; they are for sale everywhere and it's easy to find one to fit your truck if you don't have to be color-coordinated. :yes
    I wouldn't have a hunting truck without a topper, that's for sure.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The 1 option I wish I would have got....the window next to the cab is removable for cleaning. If you're only keeping the topper on for a short time, it's not a huge deal but I hardly ever take mine off.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. Rice Hunter

Didn't realize that was a potential option. Would need to see how that works? Good info from everyone. Thanks.

9. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

My Unicover has a removeable front window. It has cam latches on the top and bottom that you turn and the window falls back into the topper for removal. In 10 years I have never had mine out, my truck isn't that clean! Windoors are a must with a topper!

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Do camper shells get the dust in them like my bed cover does when you ride down dirt roads a lot? Every time I go places with dusty roads, my bed gets full of dust. Keeps the rain off my stuff, but the dust is no better.