Toxic Algae Bloom Found In Ohio River

Discussion in 'West Virginia Flyway Forum' started by WOODIE13, Aug 30, 2015.

1. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...Toxic-algae-bloom-detected-in-Ohio-River.html

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

3. Skip OK

Skip OK Elite Refuge Member

guru,

Was the EPA the direct cause of THIS pollution, as they were on the Animas River? Did they cut the dam or open the valve or whatever it was that allowed this situation to occur?

Bottom line, when a discharge of controlled material into waters of the United States is allowed to happen, the people responsible, whoever they may be, should be penalized, and that penalty should be essentially the same no matter who caused it.

In the Animas River case the EPA caused the spill, and then lied about how much was lost, lied by a factor of three. THEY were the bad actors, in every sense of the word, and they are trying to pass it off as no big deal. They are lying about that, as well.

Until they admit that they caused this (entirely preventable) event, either through abject ignorance or malicious intent, and agree to repair the damage in a manner consistent with what they have required other polluters to do, they will be saddled the perception that they cause more problems than they solve.

4. theduckguru

The mine involved with the Animus River spill was over 100 years old, and had been abandoned for over 20 years. Polluted waters were retained with by a pile of dirt, pollution was leaking from the mine, and an EPA contractor was attempting to install a drain pipe. Their plan failed and it was an accident. So to answer your question, no the EPA did not cause this pollution. Had they done nothing, it would have ended up in the river.

In Ohio, the city of Toledo was without drinking water due to toxic algae caused by agricultural runoff flowing into Lake Erie. At an inland lake, a man and his dog died after exposure to toxic algae. No it is in the Ohio River. It is an on going and expanding problem.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Skip OK

guru,

While the EPA did not cause the pollution, they DID cause the spill; 100% caused by acts of the EPA.

If this had occurred when a private company was trying to install the drain, the EPA would have been all over them demanding fines and penalties. Why isn't that going on now? I suggest that it is because, for this time at least we have the fox guarding the hen house.

Whether the guy that caused it did so through ignorance (what do you mean the sludge will flow through my gap when I cut it), or arrogance I'm the EPA! I don't have to listen to you!), or malice aforethought (they want a Superfund site? I'll give them one)is unimportant. What is important is thye the EPA be hel accountable for their wrongful acts, just like everyone else.

6. theduckguru

Investors run a gold mine and make make millions of dollars. No money is set aside for clean up and mine is operated without proper procedures to keep pollution from flowing out of it when it closes. The owners abandon the mine, it is sold for back taxrs, and the EPA is the party at fault because they had an accident during up the clean up.

Because of this, another group of people should be entitled to pollute public water ways?

7. Skip OK

The EPA is at fault, but instead of acting honorably and penalizing themselves, since they are the Agency of responsibility for issuing penalties against thoughless polluters (such as the EPA), they sweep it under the rug. They are giving every polluter who discharges less than 3 million gallons of heavy metal sludge into waters of the United States (and into a National Park) a wonderful defense--"when the EPA did worse than I, they had NO penalty".

I suggest forming a commission to determine the amount of money the EPA should be required to pay as penalty (there WILL be lawsuits dealing with actual damages to downstream communities and businesses, but I'm talking about the fine that ought to be imposed just for their actions and their "underreporting" (aka baldfaced lying) as to the amount).

My suggestion for commission membership would rely heavily on those people who have had the same thing happen to them when they had spills and discharges, so I'm thinking Charles and David Koch, and the CEO of BP, and maybe the CEO of Exxon, plus a few "environmentalists" who understand that a lenient hand here will result in the same actions for other polluters.

They should take into account the number of positions which had to be dropped due to payments demanded after past accidents; the Koch's lost that part of their business, and BP is only about 50% staffed in Houston, and that was BEFORE the oil downturn.

I don't know how much should be demanded, but it should be high enough that (1) EPA actually loses positions in the Region that caused this, and (2) that EPA should be required to undertake effective training for their staff so as to prevent such stupidity from happening again

EPA should be held to a HIGHER standard than the general public, not a lower one Their whole reason for being is to protect the environment and this act violates their core principle of the Agency.

8. theduckguru

I think these sites should have been given super fund status and funded properly.