Toxic Broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Always fun to see what's new and innovative to the archery scene but this one has me thinking.....while I am sure its strentgh is a good selling point, I have to wonder about actual penetration on fur and bone.
    Anybody try these yet or have an opinion?
    http://flyingarrowmontana.com/#!/splash-page

2. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

I have 6 of them in my quiver now. A friend that owns an archery shop gave them to me as a gift recently. He was pretty blown away by the live demos he saw of their penetration. I have lined them in and they don't fly quite the same as field tips, as advertised, but they're pretty damn close. I was 1/4" to the right at 20 yards and about 1" to the right at 50 yards. Easy site adjustment and now it's lined in and ready to rock. I'll be trying them here in a few weeks with our ridiculously early coastal blacktail season. I'll send you a report on how they perform.

3. Mr.Bones

That would be GREAT - already appreciate you giving me what you know about them already. I see guys shooting jugs and things like that but wonder with hide and hair, how they will work.

Would appreciate pics of the entry and exit holes if and I hope there is!

I just got a set of the Rage Hypordermic broadheads and I am impressed as they fly very well. I have used the red chisel tip rages with very good success - I like how the shock collars on the Hypodermic keep the blades in from any movement until impact
    Bones

4. illini36

I'll be interested to hear your review of the Rage Hypodermics. I read some mixed reviews from field tests conducted with these. One review mentioned that the blades broke on impact when shooting an old 4 wheeler tire. It's hard to know how to take these types of reviews, though. You never know if the person writing it has an alternative motive. If you're interested, this is where I read the poor review.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...693580;cat104237280;cat103986180#BVRRWidgetID

As for the Toxic broadheads, I watched a video of him shooting a large elk and the cut was quite impressive. It seemed more like a slug hole than a broadhead. I elk hunt in Oregon, where mechanicals are illegal, so I'm hoping these are a viable alternative. We'll see how the real life field tests go in a few weeks on a blacktail, hopefully.

Where do you hunt in Mass? I used to live in Newtown while in grad school and did a lot of hunting in western Mass and throughout Maine and NH. My very good friend Troy Fields was just pulled for a Maine moose tag and I am his alternate on the tag. Hopefully, I'll be able to join him up there in September. We drew zone 2 and it sounds dynamite. We hunted zone 3 in 2007 and killed a gorgeous bull.

5. Mr.Bones

Interesting as looking at both the older and the HD rage - I didn't notice much of a difference. And like you - that's why I am very careful of the review and would rather hear one from a guy like you or another member here.

I hunt mostly Central MA and CT - if you are around in Sept, make sure you let me know, maybe we can have a beer or two!

6. illini36

Sounds great!

7. alpha hunter

alpha hunter New Member

I saw that you are discussing the hypodermic review and I just wanted to let you know that I am the one who posted the review. I took my hard earned money and purchased these heads along with 9 other heads to test. I am a diehard archery hunter and I wanted to change my setup so I figured I would buy some heads test them out and see what works best for me. This is my setup Mathews chill 70 lbs 28.5" draw, gold tip kinetic xt arrows with 100 grain heads giving me about a 430 grain arrow. These are the heads I tested and some of which I have harvested deer with. Steel force phathead and phatehead sob, Magnus stinger buzzcut, Slick trick magnum and razortrick, ramcats, toxic broadheads, NAP spitfire max, Rage 2 blade and hypodermic. I have no ulterior motive, I just have a love for archery hunting and wanted to test some heads. That being said I have never lost a deer with the original 2 blade Rage but I will admit penetration on quartering away and shoulder shots were problematic and that is what started this testing/search. I can go on and on about my testing and give you a full review but it would be pages of information and aint nobody got time for that. Yes the hypodermic was the only head out of those 10 to have the blades break on the relatively soft ATV tire and the shock collar seems very hard to open. (Yes I followed the directions for the shock collar) The original rage 2 blade took over 10 shots into the same tire and all I had to do was keep changing the rubber o ring. I will admit I shot the hd only 1 time and it broke and I didn't do anymore testing because I knew I wasn't going to hunt with a head that couldn't stand up to a tire. Maybe I got a bad head but there are plenty of other great heads out there I can shoot and not have to worry about blades breaking. I also shot the toxic and I'm still not sold on it but I am impressed. It is noisey in flight and I couldn't get it to broadhead tune with my bow. I'm also worried about penetration with these heads but I found they out penetrated all mechanical heads but no fixed blades. I think they could penetrate less on game but only in the field testing on live animals will prove that. Of those heads I found 4 winners Ramcats, razortricks, magnums, and buzzcuts. All of them have their good and bad but I think I'm going to hunt with the Ramcats or either of the slick tricks this year. I also found NAP spitfire max to be a bad head for me but that is a whole other topic.

8. alpha hunter

alpha hunter New Member

I also tested the grim reaper 1-3/8" cut and I liked it but I didn't find it to penetrate as good as I was hoping. Of all the mechanicals I tested this would probably be my favorite. I have shot mechanicals for the last 5 years but I found they don't penetrate and I am going back to fixed blades. 2 holes is always better than 1. :tu If you have any questions about any of these heads I will be glad to answer them. I am not biased towards any 1 head. I have lots of information on the toxic head also.

9. Mr.Bones

AH - Thanks for the info and your review. I would be interested in it all as like you - I am in the same boat as hard working guy, who spends is own/what's available after the kids money on my stuff.
    I am alway interested in hearing more that will help me not only be a decision maker but someone who goes out there to make the most humane and lethal shot.
    Like you I have had nothing but good luck with the rages but more then less, I don't get a second hole. I will say the last deer that I did loose was from a fixed blade slick trick - so its hard for me to give up the rages after finding all my deer I have hit with them.

With that said - what do you think is the reason for the breaking of the blades? Did you compare them againt the blades of the regular rage? I didn't see any difference but maybe you picked up on something i over looked!
    Again - appreciate your input and look forward to hearing more!
    What are you thoughts on the toxic's?
    Bones

10. alpha hunter

alpha hunter New Member

I can't tell a difference in the blades of the hypodermics compared to the original 2 blade. My guess is they are using a new process for manufacturing them and they are brittle. I'm willing to bet that once they discover this problem it will be fixed and it will be one of, if not the best mechanical on the market. The shock collar still worries me because it is so hard to open but I think if they used rubber instead of plastic it would help. I want penetration and I just think the shock collar takes too much energy away from the arrow. I have the same concern with the spitfire max.

The toxic is just crazy. I have never seen a hole like these things create. The only bad I have to say is I couldn't get them to fly great and they are noisy. Penetration will be an issue but I would have to shoot some live critters with them to know for sure. Still think they will penetrate as good or better than mechanical heads. They are super strong and sharp and create a hole that nothing can survive from. I think they will have the best blood trails and with the right placed arrow they will be short. I want to hunt with them so bad but until I see some reviews on animals I'm going to hold off on them. I really am impressed with them. I originally thought they were a gimmick but they are the real deal. I do think they are more of a short range head though due to the noisy flight. Try them out but beware they will destroy your target with only a few shots.