Toxic Broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Jun 21, 2013.

1. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

AH, thanks for the awesome and thorough reviews brother. As I stated above, I'll be shooting them in our (ridiculously) early blacktail season which starts July 13. Hopefully will have some field reviews for you in the next month or so. I will say that I didn't have the flight issues you mentioned. I tested these out to 50 yards and they were flying roughly an inch to the right. Easy fix. Completely agree about tearing up a target in short order! I would suggest buying an ultra-cheap Walmart target to line these in with and realize you won't be using it much after!

2. alpha hunter

alpha hunter New Member

I can't wait to see what they do to a deer. Good Luck and post some pictures of the carnage. I don't know why I'm having flight issues with the toxic's but it wasn't too bad, maybe 2-3" low to the left at 50 yards. It was consistent too I wasn't getting any random flyers. I was shooting 3" Arizona Elite vanes but since have switched back to 2" blazers. I found the blazers are flying much much better for me especially with the slick trick magnums. I need to shoot the toxic again but they already dominated my target and I had to buy a new one. I will have to take your advice and buy a cheap one somewhere because these beasts will never see my new target.

3. Bigtymer

Bigtymer Refuge Member

Like you guys, I've always shot the 2 blade rage and never had any problems. Found all the deer I shot at. Sometimes getting a pass through and sometimes just poking a hole on the opposite side but not a complete pass thru. Still with all the damage, the deer never go far. I too am interested in the HD and they may be a little more solid. Interesting that they broke on you. I think I'll wait till closer to the season, and let other people buy the ones on the shelf currently. Maybe in a couple months they will have made improvements, if necessary.

4. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Good info on the hypo's I was thinking of trying them out, I am glad I read this post.
    I really like the original Rage and haven't lost a deer to date using them and I guess I will stick to them!

5. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Was at the local Cabelas this past Sunday and brought this topic up to the rep from Rage. He and I spoke for quite a bit and he honestly said it was the first that he was hearing about this. He mentioned that when it came to penetration - the HP, in the ballistic gel had the best penetration followed by the original and then by the chisel tip. He said they went to the collars as customers were complaining about the blades loosening up with the 0-rings but said that in there reviews of this - it was due to them creating a memory and just a slight turn to a new spot corrected that. He also had a few complaints that the blades wouldn't open but when they asked what color was the broadhead being used - they got "Blue" which if you know is the practice head! LOL
    While he didn't come out and say it - I did get the feeling that the 2 blade was superiour in deployment over the 3 (had heard the the 3's have a bit higher rate of not opening up).

I still bought a pack and think I will give them a try on some early season deer and let you guys know.
    Bones

6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

The old sniper 2-blades (before rage bought them) have done well for me, but results I've seen much more impressive results (from others) with the RAMcats. I'm going to try those from both bows and crossbows this season. They show blood at the point of impact, all over the ground, on everything I've seen shot with them. I've shot many good, killing broadheads, but never one that didn't take a few yards to start laying a trail, especially if it wasn't a pass through....the Ramcats seem to blow blood back out the entry hole on impact, almost like a rifle bullet. We'll see.:)