TPLO x 2

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by JJK, Jul 8, 2017.

1. JJK

JJK Senior Refuge Member

Hi guys - anyone ever had a dog that was able to keep hunting after 2 TPLO surgeries?
    My dog blew his left leg during a hunt last October - ending the season early.
    He blew his right leg during rehab for the left leg and we got that fixed in March.

He is doing better during this rehab then the first one but his stamina and power might never be the same - particularly power in his lower back seems to be slow to return.

I'm sure I'll be able to keep upland hunting (wild grouse and farm pheasants) but I'm afraid that duck hunting might be too risky - I'm not sure I'll be comfortable putting the dog in places I can't get to myself easily.

Anyone had a dog return to waterfowl hunting after blowing both knees?

The dog is turning 5 and was hell on wheels until the wheels broke.

Thanks

2. 4 BUCK

4 BUCK Senior Refuge Member

My last dog had 2 TPLO's, one at 4 and one at 6. He hunted until 11, slowed down a lot but still got it done.

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Usually, the muscle atrophy is in the thighs and not the low back.
    You may have two separate problems going on here.
    How old is your dog ?

4. JJK

JJK Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys - the dog just turned 5. When I say (guess) it's strength in the back it's because he now has a hard time leaping / jumping. He can run pretty well and that is improving but he can't run like he could before he blew the first leg. I suspect he injured both sides on the same 45min wood duck retrieve (nasty, thickly rooted flooded river banks - stuff I could never get through) and then blew the left side out during an upland hunt later that week - he tore the right side suddenly a few days after being cleared by the vet to start running a little bit after the first operation. Not inexpensive btw. I think his right ccl was parcially torn the entire time he was recovering from the torn ccl on the left.

Jay

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If it's spine related, it's usually pretty easy to see on xray.
    If it's spine, it is likely lumbar spondylosis, which is certainly possible, but my guess is that it is atrophy of the thigh muscles, which always occur after knee surgery.

6. BigUglyGreenBoat

BigUglyGreenBoat Senior Refuge Member

My Chessie had both TPLO's done 8 weeks apart. It was just enough rehab on the first to allow for the second. She was 2 when this was done and completed her MH by 3. She will be 12 next week and is still hunting. She is almost totally blind in 1 eye and partially in the 2nd but her drive and desire is still there. I pick and choose where we go now (because of the eyes, not the knees). I'm sure if there isn't anything else going on medically he will get his confidence back and be his old self.

7. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Only one TPLO at 4 years old, then a meniscus tear and scope on the same knee a year later. I can't tell my dog has ever had surgery and he hasn't slowed down a bit...which is a bit scary knowing what happened to the first knee and how much I paid for them.

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

My now 11 year old chocolate lab had both knees done at one year old. She hasn't had a problem retrieving since, although now old age is getting her near retirement.

9. road kill

road kill Senior Refuge Member

My dog had both ccls done, though not tplo.
    We had to a lot of retraining but he is running tests again at 9+ years old.
    He is also on adequan injections.

Good luck, all the best!

Stan b & Elvis