Tracker Grizzly 1654 Sportsman Performance?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by 10ga.crazy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

I am considering purchasing a Tracker Grizzly 1654 Sportsman. The boat is rated for a 40HP but the standard package from Bass Pro is supplied with a 30 Merc 4 stoke. I am curious if anyone has experience with this setup? I cannot find any performance tests to give me an idea of top speeds on this boat with either the 30 or the 40? I am seriously thinking of going to the 40 as I always preferred maxing out on my HP. If you have some info to share or know an online source with test data it would be much appreciated. Thank you......10ga.crazy

2. BadBowtie

BadBowtie Elite Refuge Member

The 1648 tracker grizzly i had was a tank. Ran a 40 Yam 2 stroke on it.

3. 10ga.crazy

A tank as in tough? Or as in slow? Guess it doesn't matter now, the salesman found some performance numbers for me and I like what I heard so I ordered the boat today. Should be in by mid april. Ordered it with the 40 Merc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. Woody

Woody Elite Refuge Member

Definitely not as in "tough". Some of the worst boats out there for durability. Just do a search on any forum for "tracker grizzly".

If I were you I would shop for a different brand and I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I'm trying to save you a lot of future headaches.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Woody is right; I've had a 1648 grizzly since 2004...it was in my budget then and has served me well but definitely would go with another mfg. or better yet, go custom. Had one bad weld, fixed that, the hull has been a compromise with a longtail motor but gets the job done. The slotted T rail is about the best thing on it, and it is an open floor plan, the new ones have a middle bench and are about 165 lbs. heavier!! Seaark, Lowe, Alumacraft, and many others to shop.

6. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

The tracker Grizzlies are fine boats for what they are. They aren't mud motor boats, they aren't custom build rigs, they aren't top of the line. But they are affordable! I had an 1860 grizzly before I got my current 1872 Seaark. It's not nearly the boat the Seaark is but it was a fine boat that stood up to everything I could throw at it. For an all around hunting and fishing boat it will suit you just fine.

7. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

I guess I am in the minority... I actually have a 1654 Tracker. Had mine since 2006. I have a 35 hp tiller on it. It runs 32 mph with me and my dog. I have jumped logs, run it in stump fields, light ice on the MO river, etc... Its done what it was asked to do.

Foxwood likes this.
  8. Huntndogs

Huntndogs Senior Refuge Member

I have had a 1654 since 2007 or so. It has a 50hp yamaha 4 stroke and a jack plate. I can get near 40 mph with a full hunt load and two guys. It has been great, no cracked welds etc. The Tracker trailer on the other hand needed some attention. I would not hesitate to buy again.

Foxwood likes this.
  9. 10ga.crazy

I think for my purposes I will stick with the purchase. Since leaving northern ontario and moving to the SK prairies I haven't hunted water in 4 seasons. We just shoot fields. My main purpose will be as a fishing boat 98% of the time and maybe a duck hunt thrown in once a season. There is very little accessible water here for hunting from a boat owing to 99% of the water being small shallow wadeable sloughs. I just prefer a mod v boat for an all around boat. I love the stability for being able to stand in them to cast or shoot. Thanks for the replies. I feel confident in my purchase now after reading both the good and bad reviews. That is also why I am buying from a corporate dealer instead of private. At least the dealer stands behind the product they are selling. They gave me a list of customers to speak with who had warranty work done in house and 100% had nothing but good reviews and most were non sponsored tournament fisherman who had accidents on the water resulting in things like bow mount motors ripped off hulls, smashed hulls into rocks at high speeds etc.

10. BadBowtie

BadBowtie Elite Refuge Member

I had a 25 Merc, 27 Prodrive MM, and a 40 Yam on it. Never had issues. Ive heard horror stories, but never dealt with any issues.