Tracker Grizzly 1654 Sportsman Performance?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by 10ga.crazy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ipittythefoo

ipittythefoo New Member

I have a 2014 w/ 30hp Merc. It will run 23-24 loaded down. 29 if empty. The newer sportsmans have a different hull but less room for gear on the inside, so your speed will probably different. They are going to mount the motor too high when you get it.

2. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Mount it too high? Would you care to give me some details on how to tell and what your solution was?

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I have a 2010 1748,never a problem.I bought mine new as a model year end clearance,I paid 1700.00 for boat and trailer ,I couldn't pass it up.The biggest motor I ran was a25 and although it wasn't fast it is a great fishing boat.

4. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Bull****. One of the toughest boats around. Just more anti BassPro crap. I have a 1648 with a 32 ProDrive on it and it has been a beast. Can you buy tougher boats? Yes for about twice the price. My boat is rated for a 30 and the ProDrive is a bit much weight wise but works well.

BadBowtie likes this.
  5. Wood Duck Hunter

Wood Duck Hunter New Member

When I got mine with the Merc 4 stroke 30 I could not keep the prop in the water over 3/4 throttle. I lowered the motor to its lowest setting with out much difference. I got a slightly larger prop which lowered hole shot and top end speed. I think I still need a different prop.

6. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Install a jackplate. While putting your motor slightly back it will put your prop dipper in to the water allowing you to make height adjustments.
    It is how i resolved my friend's short shaft issue on a 20" transom boat ( He bought a wrong lenth motor :))

7. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

Be careful...put too much weight back there and u will crack the gunnel. I added an ultrajack and thats what happened...w a 40HP 2 stroke.
    BUT...welded that puppy up, added some braces and it has taken a beating.
    its 17 yrs old and we beat the crap out of it
    never a leak, never a bad weld

8. ipittythefoo

ipittythefoo New Member

I lowered mine to the next to last hole. Still have the same problem. I'm going to drop it to the lowest setting. I switched to a 11 pitch prop.

9. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

If they match a standard 20" motor with a standard transom, that's all it takes. Any other adjustments will be the prop, etc.

10. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Before changing the prop, did you measure RPM at WOT?