Tractors

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Timber Hole, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I've been looking for a tractor for quite a while. The dang things are expensive. Like a lot of things in my life I wanted a Cadillac but had a Volkswagon budget. Finally found a 30 hp JD 950 for a reasonable price. Needs a little engine work but otherwise a really straight little tractor. I had hoped to find a 4WD tractor but couldn't pass up this little 950.

What are you guys using for tractors at the duck lake and for food plots if you plant them? Is the tractor you have adequate for your needs?

2. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

I'm using an older tractor--an Allis Chalmers 5040 with a loader. More than adequate for my needs. Its a workhorse, which for the 8 years Ive owned it, has never had any issues.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I researched and shopped the heck out of used and new tractors when I was clearing my land for an impoundment. As TH said, new wasn't cheap yet my budget was. Finally bit the bullet and got a Kubota L4600 4WD with a FEL, disk, bushhog and box blade. Couldn't believe I pulled trigger on a new one in that I only have had one new vehicle in my life, but have no regrets. I've got 20 acres to manage and have purchased more implements as they were needed. Love my tractor, managing a plot is a labor of love made more enjoyable from its seat ...you will too.

Constructeur likes this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I found a Deere 4020 with 2800 hours, complete with loader, chopper and endloader. It's all I need.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Mahindra 4025 4WD with FEL does most of my work. Looking back, I should have bought the 65 horse I was looking at, but this little guy is a workhorse, and has done things I didn't think it could. Just coulda used the extra weight and power.

1966 Ford 3000 that I'm currently painting. Given to me when I bought my river land from my aunt. Just put a clutch in it, and as soon as I get it painted, it goes back to bush hogging duty at the river. Will be the spare tractor for when I have help to cut down there. Wife likes to drive it.

I can't even remember all the 3PT hitch attachments I have for keeping that place up, but I use my sprayer, brush cutters, and tiller the most.

6. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

We have a JD950 diesel, use it with 5' bush hog, great little tractor for mowing but too little HP to use for much else and no hydraulics. Picked up an old 4010 for disking, put on rear duals to help get out of "questionable" areas but if ground too wet to drive on it is too wet to work, stay out.

WHUP ! Hen and Constructeur like this.
  7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I have a guy at work that will do the work for dirt cheap so I pay him. He has a 110 hp tractor with a bucket. He disked my south field for $50. He will drill my 10 acres I am putting back to WSG for the cost of fuel. I can also borrow Dads little 25 hp JD if its a small job. Honestly my SxS does most of what I need to do on my 33.5 acres.

8. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I have a MF35 that came with the house and land we bought 15 years ago. I think the tractor is 50 years old or so. Little things have fallen off or broken over the years, but it still runs like a top and pulls a disk and mower just fine. I keep waiting for it to die for good so I can go buy a new one, but it keeps hanging on.
    It's pretty easy to work on, too. I'm far from a gear head, but I can take the carb apart, clean it and reinstall it and I've replaced the cooling system, too.

9. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Mahindra 42hp open seat with bucket is my work horse. It is a must to have a bucket for the thousands of earth moving and lifting chores. It had run hot a time or two –recently replaced the thermostat and no problems since. Bought a Mahindra 51hp (with cab) model for bush hogging and it ran hot and it wasn’t very heavy duty. Traded Mahindra 51hp for an new Kubota 91 hp cabbed (w/o bucket).. Love the big Kubota – it’s a beast and very well built. Last year, Kubota was running some pretty good specials on new.. I could never afford the new green models

10. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

FB_IMG_1500681401383.jpg

WHUP ! Hen likes this.