California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Trade for a hunt in South East Texas?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Coltdog16, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

It’s a long shot, but you never know if you never ask right?

A buddy and I will be visiting SoCal in January in pursuit of a trophy Cinnamon or two. We’ll be there about a week so we should hopefully have enough time to put work in and make something happen. Driving in from Houston, Texas.

We are planning on trying our luck at the local refuges, and I’m asking here if anyone has any pointers they wouldn’t mind sharing? Not asking for spots or anything just a general “how to” for the area and what to look for to hunt the cinnamons.

Also I’d like to throw out there that I work for THE oldest and one of the most reputable guide services in Texas and wouldn’t mind trading a hunt if anyone would be interested in that deal...I understand bluewings are a rarity over there....I get sick of shooting them here.

I know this is a terrible first post, but I see this is one of the only semi active forums still kicking it.

Thanks in advance.

afmoto likes this.
  2. Green house

Green house Senior Refuge Member

Hunting Wister state wildlife area in january will give you a very good chance at a cinnimon.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Imperial-WA

Put in for reservations. Its all spelled out on the web site.

If it is necessary to hunt closer to the coast San Jacinto wildlife area will also give you a chance but crowds and difficulty getting on could hamper the quest. North southern cal look to Kern national wildlife refuge. There would be good chances there as well.

Number one would be Wister.

3. mouthcallinmatt

mouthcallinmatt Elite Refuge Member

Tule ponds will be your target in So Cal. Only 3 refuges to choose from in So Cal & Wister would be my top recommendation not just because there are plenty of areas to find them but you also won't have a problem getting a blind. The other refuges, San Jacinto & Kern, can also be good for Cinnamon's that time of year but harder to get on without the luck of drawing a reservation that you can apply for at least 17 days prior to the days you want to hunt.

Wister is adjacent to the Salton Sea, the largest lake in California. There are some public backwaters of you will, that can be hunted 7 days a week but I would caution you to go with people who know those areas as some can be dangerous.

Not sure how much I'll be hunting this year but if it works out I'd be happy to help with your quest or at the least, put you with others who can. I've been hunting there for 39 years.

callinfowl and DuckFan like this.
  4. mouthcallinmatt

mouthcallinmatt Elite Refuge Member

Haha. What Greenhouse said. He's was quicker on the trigger.

Coltdog16 likes this.
  5. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

Thanks for the reply. We are planning on staying in Indio so that we are in close proximity to both refuges you mentioned.

I’ve been working graveyards all week and have read every article, post, you name it that I could find. Haha. I got a whole folder of paper of maps, rules, regs, etc

I think I have it figured out on how to get in the refuge to hunt, I’m more or less trying to figure what to look for to target them specifically. And can you get into the refuge on non hunt days to scout it out?

6. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

Also thanks for the response mouthcallinmatt.

If I drive 1500 miles and leave with only ONE nice cinnamon teal and nothing else, I’ll be completely satisfied haha. However I know hunting is hunting and we’ll hunt what opportunities is given to us.

7. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

When you’re late in the sweat line ask which blind has potholes.

8. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

I will keep that in mind, thanks

9. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Coltdog16 likes this.
  10. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

Thanks API. I found and subscribed to the reports last night. I think I read every report for December and January atleast a few years back haha. That’s awesome they do that for y’all. Refuge officials would be crucified in Texas for even suggesting that idea haha.

I’m more or less trying to figure out what kind of environment they like so I know what to look for. (I.e. open water, dense cover, regular size ponds, etc.) I’ve been told they are just like hunting bluewings but that’s difficult to compare foe me...we kill them in rice, marsh, bays, timber, pretty much everywhere so I can’t really utilize my experience with them....

Are the refuges accessible on non hunt days to scout?