Traeger

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by marshmob, Aug 20, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I've had a traeger for about 2 months. It was heating up to 450 with no problem but now it won't get past 375. Anyone run into this? Not sure if it could be the digital thermostat or something to do with the pipe that feeds the pot. I checked some different post on another site and it didn't help at all. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

RTD dirtiness is the first thing so would check. Also occasionally the auger needs recalibrated

3. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

I've had a Traeger tailgater for around 3 months now. I haven't had an issue with it getting to temp. I clean mine every 4-6 uses depending on how many pellets I burn up between cooks. Make sure you keep the pot clean. I use a shop vac.

I have joined a lot of Facebook traeger pages and it seems to be a common occurrence and most always suggest giving it a good cleaning. Another issue is brand of pellets, I use Lumberjack comp blend and haven't had an issue. Also make sure you store pellets in a humid free way. I keep my grill outside, but have a cover over it preventing rain/moisture from getting into the hopper.

The other issue I've read is to put a piece of cardboard between your temp probe and the side wall of the barrel, but this is for if you are seeing unusual high temp reads (usually a false reading as the barrel is hotter than the actual air inside the grill.

The last thing I would check before contacting CS is what your P setting is at.

The only regret I have is A: not buying one sooner and B: not getting a bigger one.