trail cams

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by chris2500hd, Dec 23, 2013.

1. chris2500hd

chris2500hd Senior Refuge Member

Recently my buddy bought two trail cams. He was very excited to play around with them and get to understand, or familiarize himself with the product before he put them out on his hunting property. The other day I asked him how things were working out and he said for the day he had them up they worked great but he took it down when the snow started because he didnt want a bunch of pics of snow. I have never used one either so i called a buddy to verify my assumption that the camera doesnt shoot photos of snow, but now i am curious to know why it doesnt. If the camera runs off motion and motioning is happening in front of the camera AKa snow or rain. Could any of you tell me the reason ?

2. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking it has to do with something of a different temperature moving in the area the picture is being taken. The snow is basically the same temp as the air around it. One of my cams has an adjustment that decreases or increases sensitivity when the outside temp is for example very high. There isn't much difference between outside temp and the body temp of an animal so the cam might not fire off a pic. But when there is a bigger difference in temps, you might get too many blank screens from false movement.

from Bushnell set up page........
    Sensor Level Normal, High,
    Low
    Selects the sensitivity of the PIR
    sensor. The ?High? setting will
    make the camera more sensitive
    to infrared (heat) and more
    easily triggered by motion, and
    the ?Low? setting makes it less
    sensitive to heat and motion. The
    High setting can be useful when
    the ambient temperature is warm
    (making it more difficult for the
    sensor to detect animals), and
    the Low setting may help in cold
    weather if the camera is being
    triggered too often by anything
    warmer than the surroundings.

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I have a Bushnell trail cam. I've used it for 4 years now, it's ok, but the nighttime shots are typically not great, typically overexposed. And it's an IR model! :( Anyhow I put it out the opening day of archery in early Sept. I pulled the card the week before Rifle season (thanksgiving week). It had 6978
    pictures on it. 6971 of them were some bug caught in a spider web blowing in the wind, passing through the motion field for 2 or 3 days before the batteries finally died. :)

Doug

4. TIMBER RUNNER

TIMBER RUNNER Senior Refuge Member

They have setting you need to adjust to low... On low you wont have this problem they go off of difference in heat aka "Warm body"

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

My wife set my 4 Bushnells, that I bought this past summer & fall, and have no problems with it taking picstures with snow in the background.
    We've had 2 snow falls here, and not a problem. Got 2 of them that have a faster shutter speed, and getting a lot less missed pics. I usually drive by the camera, before or after, on my 4 wheeler, to double check, just how fast the pic. is being taken. ;)

6. dakndug

I know this post is old, but Timber Runner they were set to low. I hadn't been happy with these cameras for the $$ they cost. After season 3, one though set for camera, takes video til it's batteries die (usually of nothing), and the other quit working completely. Replacing them this year, not sure what with.
    Hate spending high $$ if they aren't going to perform. Thinking Browning.
    Thoughts?

Doug

7. bird_dog07

bird_dog07 Refuge Member

Every try trailcampro.com ? They have great customer service and honor a 2 year warranty. Also, prices are as competitive or better than most places and they have extensive reviews on all their cameras. Did I mention free shipping too? They are high on the Browning Strike Force for a very reasonable $129.99

8. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

9. dakndug

Birddog I have actually been able to find the top 2 brownings for under 120/ea, so I may try a couple of these. 2 eagles may get one of the cuddys too, like to see if they are as good as the shows make them out to be.

Doug

10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I bought one of the Covert cameras that sends you pics to your phone and email.

Works pretty good and it's a lot of fun to get the pics as they are taken.