Trailer modifications

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Bought a new enclosed trailer this summer and have recently been doing some upgrading. When I got it it was a basic 7x16 v-nose with an extra 8 inches of height. There was 1/4" plywood on the walls and 3/4" OSB on the floors. My long term plans for the trailer are to be able to haul cargo when I want, and to be able to use it as a mobile "hunting camp" in Dec/Jan when I hunt in Washington. Eventually it'll have an RV electrical hookup for 50 AMP power, an inverter, have outlets wired inside, and have an LED lighting on the interior. It is NOT ever going to be a "pull it into the field" trailer. I just finished phase 1 of it's transformation. The walls and ceiling are now fully done with 1" ridged insulation, there is 1/4" plywood across the ceiling, I laid a layer of 3/4" plywood over the floor bringing that thickness to 1 1/2", and I laid 3/4" plywood over the 1/4" on the sides. The new layers of plywood are laid opposite of what existed previously: if the first layer was north/south the second layer was east/west. Originally there were only 4 d-ring tie down points on the floor...one in each corner...and none on the walls. Now there are 14 d-rings on the floor and 26 on the walls. After cutting the new plywood sheets and installing them I figure I added 6-700 lbs of new weight which brings the trailer to around 3000 lbs. I'm going to flip the axles to under the springs and raise it about 3 inches total. I'm seriously considering swapping out the 3500# axles for either 5200 or 7000 lb axles. Future improvements will include a top vent, a window on each side, a removable bunk bed system across the back, scissor jacks under the back corners and a heavy duty load leveling anti-sway hitch. Eventually this is going to be an honest to goodness multi-purpose trailer.

upload_2017-10-3_7-38-22.png

upload_2017-10-3_7-38-40.png

upload_2017-10-3_7-39-2.png

upload_2017-10-3_7-39-31.png

upload_2017-10-3_7-39-59.png

2. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

Lots of room to work with!

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Looking good Gene, if your gonna install any roof vents these are nice.
    You can get them with moisture sensors and they will close automaticly if you are away and it starts to rain. You should think about some low/close to the floor vents also if you are going to be using a propane heater while sleeping or cooking inside.
    LED fixtures and string lights around the ceiling are sweet and they take hardly any juice to run them.:yes:tu
    http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...MIy4KdwPC41wIVlPhkCh2VuwseEAQYAiABEgL0XPD_BwE

BirdJ likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

5. Mean Gene

I already have a nice fifth wheel if I want to just camp. I wanted this as a smaller combination rig so I could switch between hauling and camping with minimal effort.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

In MN and the dakotas, there are some "fish shacks" that are being made now that might fit the bill as well. They are basically toy haulers that can be lowered down onto the ice. Loaded up in different configurations. Good insulation. You may want to take a look at those too. They are based on cargo trailers. You may want to take a peak at them for some of their construction ideas. I love the smell of cedar in those trailers.

https://www.icecastlefh.com/pages.aspx?s=12446

https://www.icecastlefh.com/pages.aspx?s=12453

7. Mean Gene

Interesting rigs. I may put a shelf in the front V, but I don't want anything else that's permanent. My idea on bunks is across the back so as to not take up all the interior space. If there's two people in the trailer I want one to be able to go to bed and the other still have room to move around. Maybe build a frame that can be set in place, then screwed to the wall when in use. I also want to be able to lower the ramp door and slide my 12ft marsh boat inside for travel. That way it'll be all set to both haul and live in when I come to hunt with you next September. ;):l

Big thing is I don't want anything permanently installed on the interior.