Training collar

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Batman74, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Doc has been around here a long time. While I agree that his delivery can be rather blunt and/or harsh at times, I know he means well. With that said, let's try to keep this thread on topic.

I'm using a Garmin (TriTronics) Pro 550. It does what it's supposed to do. I like that it has a built in LED light on the collar so I can keep an eye on the dog when I'm airing him at the boat ramp in the dark. It has momentary stimulation or continuous and three levels of stimulation (L, M, H). It has a vibrate function that I use at times for certain situation to get my dogs attention. It also has a beeper built in that I get some use out of. The transmitter is user friendly and if you have multiple dogs you can add two additional collars that will work with the same transmitter.

3. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

We also use the Garmin Pro 550. It has been extremely reliable. It kicks around in the back of the vehicle and gets daily use in water on long marks and blinds.

The Dogtra may be as good but I have no experience with it. Most of the every day trainers we work with use the Garmin. I would not look at brands other than Garmin or Dogtra.

4. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Wet behind the ears and here to learn, exactly why I and many others are here, just don't see the need for the attitude.

I'm willing to share my experiences to help other newbies. I'm comfortable putting myself out there and invite constructive criticism for my dogs benefit.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

MJ likes this.
  5. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Like most things, you get what you pay for. Tritronics/Garmin e-collars are, in my opinion, unmatched for quality and for ergonomics. I've trained hundreds of dogs over a course of 41 years, and I've pretty much seen the ups and downs of all of them.

[​IMG]

EvanG

Hogleg likes this.
  6. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

dogtra. stay away from sportdog unless you wanna come back here in a week and ask why it is not working....

a question for the tri tronics guys, i know they are great collars but how do you "wear" it while hunting? thats what kept me away and going dogtra was the size. i wear it around my neck with my call lanyard.....

BAYDOG likes this.
  7. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The transmitter on the Dogtra Edge is almost as big as the Garmin/TT.
    They are both tube types.

8. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

Belt holsters are readily available for the Garmin transmitter. I only have only used an ecollar while hunting when training a young dog to make the transition from training to hunting. Then using the holster which is very convenient.

BAYDOG likes this.
  9. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

I had to sell my Garmin collar as my dog ran through the end of it like it wasn't on. Stepped up to a Dogtra edge RT and haven't looked back. Since the Garmin buyout of TT, their product has changed; in my opinion they are no longer the zenith of collars and I won't be considering them for any future products.

I saw yesterday Dogtra was running holiday sales, up to $50 off a collar. It's a good time to buy if you can swing it.

Doc E likes this.
  10. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

That doesn't sound like an e-collar problem. It sounds a good deal more like a collar conditioning/training problem.

EvanG