Training collar

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Batman74, Nov 20, 2017.

1. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted with my TT/Garmin collars for over 3 decades. My waders have a perfect pocket for the transmitter, and as someone mentioned they make holsters for them. Frankly, if it's that big an issue you might want to stay home and train more thoroughly before taking a dog out that needs constant correction on the hunt. I'm not chewing on anyone, but only shooting straight.

Personally, I hate lanyards because, while you can reach your transmitter quickly, you rarely get the right grip the first time. Timing is a paramount issue in dog training, and by the time you sort out your grip the moment is usually far gone.

EvanG

Hogleg likes this.
  2. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

Evan,
    It was on my shorthair and at the time he knew I couldn't get to him. It was that,"yeah, and what are you going to do about it?," phase of things. With the Garmin product there was nothing I could do, as the product had no punch behind it. Anyhow, we got him squared away with the new collar and some methods picked up from Bob Farris (the Pudelpointer guy.)

After all that I did use your book on FF that I got through gun dog supply. Today he is a pretty dialed in bird killing machine.

[​IMG]

Roy G. likes this.
  3. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

"Frankly, if it's that big an issue you might want to stay home and train more thoroughly before taking a dog out that needs constant correction on the hunt. I'm not chewing on anyone, but only shooting straight."

Evan, thank you for your concern. My dog is quite adequate having just smoked The Grand. How is it more accessible in a pocket? i can grab mine and know exactly what each button is blindly.

Doc E likes this.
  4. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I have a Tri-Tronics Field 90 G3. Its not made anymore but I like it. If I was to buy a new collar now I would go with the Tri-Tronics Pro 550.

5. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

I went with the ARC because of the look. Wish I would have went Pro 550.

Not speaking for Evan but if the transmitter is dangling around your neck or in your pocket, anywhere but in your hand, you can't get the pressure applied at the right time. Referring to training here where the timing of the pressure is important.

But I'm still wet behind the ears.

6. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I use their lanyard carabiner clip and hang it from my waders or belt loop. Works great.

[​IMG]

7. EvanG

Maybe wet behind the ears, but you are dead on correct about this!

EvanG

BAYDOG likes this.
  8. EvanG

The issue is more about accuracy than mere accessibility. Dangling on a necklace/lanyard it's never in the same position twice at the moment a correction is needed. The first thing the handler will tend to do is take his eyes off the dog to see exactly how it's positioned, making sure you have contact with the right button. I know exactly how I've placed my transmitter in the pocket of my waders, and it stays exactly that way until needed. Still, when I send my dog on retrieve I take the transmitter out of my pocket, just as I would in training. There is no way of predicting the moment of need. The transmitter is a hand tool, and so is exponentially less useful when not in the hand.

EvanG

9. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

I have a Dogtra Edge & I like it pretty well. Have had two other Dogtras, a 500 Tri Tronics & have used a 550 Garmin. Overall I would say the Dogtras hold up better than the Tri Tronics or Garmins. I would also say the Tri Tronics were built better than the Garmins. The Dogtras are known to be hotter collars than Tri Tronics or Garmins. One thing to always check on an e collar is the dog# & intensity setting, the settings can move.

10. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

Get a Dogtra Edge RT and be done with it.

Constructeur and Doc E like this.