Training help

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Gunner94, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Gunner94

Gunner94 New Member

I have a almost year and a half old choc lab. He does great with obedience and retrieving bumpers, but when I throw him ducks or doves to retrieve he just wants to sniff and play with them, or pluck the feathers out of them. What am I supposed to do to break this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to the forum. It appears that you are at the force fetch stage of training. There are several training programs to choose from, but listed below is Mike Lardy's flow chart that provides the progression of training a retriever.

Have a good day,
    Kendall

http://www.totalretriever.com/images/FlowChartDownload.pdf

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Are you following any particular training program -- if so, which one ?

4. Gunner94

Gunner94 New Member

I have been using a book called 10 minute retriever I believe is the name.

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Are you actually FOLLOWING the book or just kinda ?
    That book has a section on Force Fetch ---- that's what you need to be doing.
    I'm not a fan of your Dobbs book, and I'd recommend "SmartFetch" (book and DVD)
    by Evan Graham (who posts here).

6. Gunner94

Gunner94 New Member

I have been following it pretty well. But I got to the force fetching about the time Duck season came around and started trying to get him to retrieve some ducks I had brought home and seen this problem. I’m new to this so I’m assuming what y’all are saying is the force fetching will solve this problem?

7. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

I have to agree with Doc E. I also have this problem with my chocolate just turned two he will retrieve a duck out of water but the minute he hits dry ground he spits it out on the ground will mark it perfect run too it walk around it a few times then look up at me(not cool at a hunt test) but it’s not his fault it’s his trainers (ME). He’s a retrieving nut with toys, bumpers and balls I also got some advice from Chris Akin to put all the balls, bumpers, and toys up and just work with dead birds.Best of luck

8. milletro

milletro New Member

Great to read you are spending time training your dog. I'm not a pro trainer, but train with some. If there is any advice you should take, it's find a group of folks like yourself that you can train with. You'll be amazed at how willing gun dog enthusiasts are to help.

feetdown71 likes this.
  9. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

Done correctly, yes force fetching will solve this issue. Since you are admittedly new, obtaining help from a professional or an experienced amateur would serve you well.

Kendall

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The most common response is force fetch. Force fetch (if done (properly) teaches a dog how
    to respond to pressure. Why do you think he brings bumpers back, but not the ducks?

"Because he has not been FF." is not the right answer..:h