Training in the winter in cold weather.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

What do people do when they start their training and then winter's cold snowy weather sets in making in difficult to get out much and everything is frozen and covered.

I know some may go south but what about the guy that gets a pup in May or June, so the pup is about 6 months In October, he's training along and then boom in December it's winter until March and the thaw starts.

Something i've been thinking about lately

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I live in northern Illinois. Our winters are probably not as severe as yours, but they are not
    always a lot of fun. :h The following is a link to the monthly Journals (with daily entries) for a
    young retriever's (pup) first winter.

http://kwicklabs.com/PounceTraJourArchives.htm

Right now we have 12"+ of snow on the ground. I would prefer to be out training, but at 77 years
    old I know better. The following link will provide the subsequent 3 years of daily winter training
    journal entries.

https://www.kwicklabsii.com/

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Thank you kwicklabs .That is very good to know.I might be able to do some of this at my work on saturdays if nobody is around.I work in a large warehouse with large dock and might be able to sneak a few training sessions in before they tell me to stop...lol..
    I would probably concentrate on some basics and reinforce what she know when winter sets in as opposed to trying to advance in the snow and cold if that makes sense.

4. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

I live in Northern WI. Training for me is limited to basics, land drills and land marks. All of my dogs have significantly increased their marking ability in deep snow! Just make sure you have long ropes on dummies for when they plunge straight into the snow!

5. KwickLabs

Several years ago, the buried bumper issue was solved by going to 3" Camo foam bumpers.
    They don't sink in the snow, are easier to see and a lot more friendly on the teeth.

For us, winter and snow is for exercise. There other ways to improve marking. :h

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

blinds, blinds and more blinds

ripline likes this.
  7. KwickLabs

balance, balance and more balance :h

8. ripline

Fun, fun and more fun!!!

9. ripline

Not "trying" to improve marking. The pups naturally learn to be focused during the fun in the snow.

10. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I bundled up and went if at all possible. When daylight became short I found a school yard with some grass next to the lighted parking lot. When it was too nasty to do any of that I took her to a dog friendly store and worked on obedience in that high distraction enviroment. Not a perfect plan but it let us continue training. We did a lot of pile work that first winter.