Training is in the "Back Seat"....

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by KwickLabs, Sep 10, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The three day plan to start the hunting season began September 6th. This was the morning geese first showed up on
    Thorson Pond after being pressured on the Rock River (to the west) during the Illinois early goose season. Pounce
    would have a few "opportunities". Then it will be about a month until regular waterfowl season. However, the pond
    needed an east wind to clear duckweed from an area near the blind location.

Sept 7th was a day off from training and a wind out of the east "magically" arrived. Two days of wind
    (out of the east) cleared part of the pond of duckweed and the geese moved to that end. Saturday morning
    Pounce and I were there to "greet them".

The tall standing, green corn field right next to the pond made an easy, excellent blind. In addition, the geese fly
    in from the west from the Rock River and other roosting spots. It is an advantage to have them flying into the early
    sunrise with decoys placed saying "We got here first!" Another good thing is they would not all be arriving at the
    same time. At least ....that was the plan.

Scouted Friday and Saturday we went early. Actually too early.....nothing showed until after 9 pm. There were several
    bunches that seemed spooked. One small flock came in hot and heavy without circling. They were strung out a bit
    which made it easy to string three shots. First one fell up on the land. The second right at the water's edge and the
    third back behind the goose floaters. The last one down was not clean and I quickly loaded another shell to "sluice"
    it. All of a sudden the first goose down (up on land) jumped up and flew away.

With no shells in my gun....it was gone. Dang it! I thought for sure it was a "three-fer". Anyway, Pounce had two
    exciting retrieves and I decided we were finished for the morning (even though the limit is five for early geese). This
    hunt provided everything we needed......a little fun practice run, a few good shots and something to show for the effort.
    Decoys and gear were quickly picked up and we "Got out of Dodge" fast so as to not educate anymore. Mission
    accomplished!

"corn field blind"
    [​IMG]

"view from the blind"
    [​IMG]

'looking toward the blind"
    [​IMG]

"first retrieve and checking out where the second goose down was"
    [​IMG]

"second goose"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Awesome...thanks for sharing!

3. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

Cain and I are both excited to be back on real live birds and the experience again as well. Thanks for sharing Jim.

4. aecrowell

aecrowell Refuge Member

Nice write up and great job by Pounce. Hope you guys have a great season.

5. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

6. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

That looks like a sweet setup! Our geese are a little too leary of coyotes to try and land that close to standing corn..

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well, the corn was "harvested" on the October 17th.......which was a good thing. The next morning a blind (which had been built) was moved to "The Spot" which is the best place on the pond. The northern Illinois Opener began this morning and we were home by 8:30 AM. Seven came in and two did not leave. :tu Pounce does not know what a "long day in the marsh" means. :h

The standing corn "issue" close to the shore was a good piece of advice. I "whacked" the tall weeds way back up into the inlet to make the shoreline near the blind look a lot more safe and inviting. :yes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    Rangerbob likes this.