Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

New pup is doing well, roughly 14 weeks. CBR female.

When playing/training/working, whatever you want to call it at this age, she loses interest after about 6 or so retrieves. Other dogs I've had would fetch forever at this age. I didn't throw marks forever, put them up wanting more, which is hard to do with this one.

I try to get her as fired up as I can and keep it going. Once she loses interest I'll do something else, nature walk/hike or whatever.

She'll still run it down, mouth it a bit and then see a stick or piece of grass that seems more interesting. Plan is to keep it fun and not over do anything. Any other words of wisdom?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you already know what you need to do: less. As it stands you're boring her with something that ought to be a treat. Which it probably will be if you treat it as such.

3. Lab Man

Lab Man Moderator Moderator

I would cut it down to 2 or 3 retrieves per training session. You always want to quit with the dog wanting more. Each dog is different but hopefully you should see desire increase with age.

Dorkweed likes this.
  4. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

This^^^^^

Always, always, always leave them wanting more when this age.

When they get older that changes a bit though.

5. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

This all about "reading" your pup. She is "telling you" what to do and you are not listening. :h

Do what the pup needs.....not what you want.

EvanG likes this.
  6. Hogleg

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a worrier. Just hoping what Lab Man said here is true, that the desire increases with age.

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I have always quit training when she does a task quickly and correctly. I think it does more harm than good when you quit training on a task that was done improperly. Many times it's very hard to know when to quit.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Like others have said, cut back. My current lab who is 21 months old even with force fetch in place gets bored after 2 or 3 times of doing it right on a particular drill.

Buttesmacker likes this.
  9. Hogleg

I used Smartwork on my last pup. I'm thinking about buying the Hillman puppy video to supplement as it seems to address this issue of enthusiasm.

Any thoughts?

Foxwood likes this.
  10. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I can't comment on Hillman as I don't know anything about it. I'm an amateur trainer and am using Smartworks. My pup is 1 year and has more drive and enthusiasm than I could describe in this post. Not sure why but I believe it is from going to the field every day beginning at about 8 weeks. Those early days were more exploring and fun than any real training. Somewhere along the line she just decided that being in the field and doing that work was what she was born for. I have wondered how she would be if we hadn't spent all that time in the field.