Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

2. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

deand1 likes this.
  3. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure why that assumption was made, but you certainly may need to support your commands. That is why you train with the collar on - along with keeping your dog from becoming needlessly collar wise. But collar conditioning is a part of the training process, which includes conditioning to pressure. A dog that has been soundly taught a command, and then pressure conditioned to respond to it has been formally trained in that command. That means it is likely that corporal support of that command should be rare. It also means that supporting that command should not be a battle, but rather quickly settled.

Do you now understand? Any further questions on this?

EvanG

4. Hogleg

Evan,
    I understand and thank you for taking the time to explain.

Some on this forum explain and help while others make unproductive comments/jabs that are likely to drive newbies away.

Pushing forward with FF with no work travel for the next couple weeks scheduled. Hope to make some significant progress.

Mac5pack, Doc E and EvanG like this.
  5. Hogleg

Moving bumper to the floor with hand on rope. So far so good.

EvanG likes this.
  6. Hogleg

Walking fetch has started. Did well for first time this am.

Running marks again. Good steady hold all the way into heel.

Even convinced my wife to "uphold the standard" while throwing a ball for her at the lake yesterday. I maintain it is more difficult to train the rest of the family to not "undo" everything I've done than it is to train the dog!!

Mac5pack, EvanG and Doc E like this.
  7. Hogleg

Walking fetch good. CC'd to fetch last night. She seemed to catch on quickly as the video said she should. On a short training hiatus as she is healing up from being spayed.

Mac5pack likes this.
  8. Hogleg

Walking fetch/no fetch going very well. Taking it easy as she gets sutures out thursday. Longest two weeks...

She is raring to go. Hope she gets the ok to swim/work soon. Teal opener on 9/2, want to run a started HT on the 19th, just bought 4.5 dozen field mallard shells off Facebook, I'm starting to get the fever.

Doc E likes this.
  9. Hogleg

First attempt at mini pile (3 bumper) went wonky. Walking fetch was smooth, collar fetch seemed to work.

I set up the 3 bumpers and had her heel as close to the length of the leash i was using (6 ft) and she seemed really confused. The nick didn't help. Kind of made it into walking fetch after that so we could get some success.

I'm wondering if my issue is the collar fetch or was I too far away or something else?

Teal starts soon, plan to work more this next week and a half on steady, retrieving in dekes and such so we will be ready for teal. Don't want to lose the FF momentum we had going though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Any chance you can post some video?

EvanG