Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Been on the road lately. I'll try to video a session tonight.

2. Hogleg

Couldn't get a video worth posting. But I revisited collar fetch. She was responding very nicely. Moved back to mini pile and ran through that a few times. Getting better. Changed it up by moving closer and it seemed to help with the confusion. If I can get help with someone to hold a camera I'll get video of one of the next sessions.

Mac5pack and EvanG like this.
  3. Hogleg

Figured out that the timing of the nick is key. Too early and she wants to sit once she has forward momentum it moves her that direction. I'm sure most of you are aware of this, for me it was an AHA moment.

4. Hogleg

Evan,
    Here are two videos taken yesterday of FTP work. Having the same issue. No force is being applied until she goes. Very low setting on collar. 6 - 8 out of 127.

5. bozeman

bozeman Elite Refuge Member

Granted I am new to the dog training scene, but she looks scared to 'go' retrieve.....why is she jumping back? Am I mis-interpreting that? Thanks for the videos.

6. Hogleg

Exactly my question. She is a softie, and I think she is anticipating the pressure. I don't use pressure at first. But once i do, she eventually gets this way. I have not applied any pressure yet and she is backing up just on the command.

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Watching the video there are a few things to consider. First you just started using the "back" command. Also, you don't need to put
    your hand out in front of the dog. It is a distraction there. Let the pup focus on the pile a bit more and you react a bit more more slowly.
    Build a bit of anticipation to go first. Often times it helps to "chain" the back command by first saying "fetch/back" so as to associate the
    two similar concepts.

What you are seeing is actually perceived pressure on her part. It is good you noticed the similarity. Now what you need do is to get her NOT
    feeling any pressure. To make it more seamless, first send her on "fetch" for awhile, then use "fetch/back" and then drop the "fetch" (when
    "back" by itself is better understood). Also, keep your hand back more above her head so that she will only slightly see it. DON'T move it on
    the command. As it is now your sticking it right in her face....and then thrusting it forward.....that is simply distracting.

Pressure is not always physical.

8. Hogleg

Thanks KwickLabs, I appreciate your input. I was doing that and moving forward to try to get her to move forward.

What are your thoughts on the timing of the nick? Get her going on the fetch without the nick and then add the nick after I get her momentum going?

I'll go back to fetch and then overlay the back.

Thanks again,
    Chad

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

It is interesting when one does a search for "force to pile" YouTube Videos. There are very diverse
    methods for doing so. My suggestions were pointed to what I saw in your video and things that
    might make it work a bit better. You might think about forcing from a remote sit taking your
    physical "issues" out of the initial "back" command presentation.

With my last pup I did not begin with her at my side. Some of the ideas in the following
    video may prove useful.

10. Holman_04

Holman_04 Senior Refuge Member

Have you checked the output of you E Collar? A 6-8 on my Dogtra 1900 (0-128 scale) is non detectable on my forearm or by my dog?
    What process did you use to CC fetch? Did you use nicks or continuous stimulation? Have you CC'd other commands?