Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Yes, I've checked the output. On my wrist it's not detectable, on my neck it is. I CC'd fetch per Smartwork and I think I have a decent read on the amount of pressure she requires. I believe I used nicks on the CC fetch. She has been CC to here, sit, heel and kennel. When finances allow the ARC collar will be replaced, not a fan.

All that said, my session to pile last night was without pressure, without my hand over her head from heel. She did well. I think I'll work that a couple times and reintroduce the pressure enroute.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Brack36 likes this.
  2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

I have a couple questions. Since you're doing this training, I assume you're grooming this dog to hunt? If so, how are you going about pressure conditioning?

Why no pressure until she goes? Since this is a forcing procedure you should be able to force/compel your dog to go on command. The way you appear to be doing this you can reasonably expect your dog to view going as a wrong thing, since she's being hit once she's underway. This isn't a purely en route forcing procedure. En route force should not be applied until the dog is reliably going when initially forced from your side.

I understand what it's like to train a sensitive dog. Conditioning to pressure is even more important for such dogs. Remember, we use pressure in dog training to change behavior. The change should be for the better. Please ask anything you like.

EvanG

3. Hogleg

Initially I thought the pressure was what was causing the bugging.

I'll change to pressure with the command and get her going that way.

Thanks Evan.

4. Hogleg

FTP is not improving. She will back up and go around me if I allow it. She'll go pretty hard to the pile, but I can't get it smooth from heel.

Any advice? Please don't say join a local club, done and done. Reaching out to them as well. Thanks all.

5. EvanG

No, as popular as that advice is, it's often some of the worst advice you can get because many times the people who are most eager to help don't know much more than you do. It's nice of them to offer, but they can't give you what they do not possess.

Is there a Saturday in the near future when you can schedule a trip to KC? I'd be glad to work with you on this personally.

EvanG

6. Hogleg

Evan
    Thank you so much for the offer to help! This weekend we're running a hunt test. Perhaps next Saturday?

Let me check and I'll message you directly.

Thanks again,
    Chad

7. EvanG

That may work out Chad. Keep me posted.

EvanG

8. Hogleg

Evan,
    Saturday the 7th will work for me. I've messaged you twice but I can't tell if it went through, I don't see either of them under my "conversations". You can email me at chad@nirma.info as well.

Thanks again,
    Chad

9. Hogleg

Ran Mattie in her first hunt test Saturday. AKC Junior. She failed the first land...

It was a longer one. Wind at our backs. Just couldn't get her out far enough. Helped throw birds, learned a ton and met some really nice people and dogs. We'll be back.

10. Hogleg

With Evans help I was able to get over the hump on mini pile. Increased pressure and corrected timing on command and reinforcement. She's going hard now. So hard I have a difficult time keeping her at heal, she knows what's next.

Here's a video of how she's doing now.

Moving to the 9 bumper pile as soon as it quits raining every day. Thanks Evan, I appreciate all your time and efforts!

Doc E likes this.