Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It sure is nice having Evan here at the "Fuge".

2. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Working on the 9 bumper pile. As you can see in the video above after the first couple times sent to the pile she gets loose with the heel/sit/hold. She spits out the bumper and wants to head right back to the pile. When I give the fetch command to pick it up she wants to go back to the pile. Which makes sense.

Evan told me if she goes to let her go as to not squash the drive/momentum we're building. Once I start forcing enroute versus when sent, will I be able to tighten up the heel/sit/hold again?

3. Hogleg

Yes sir it is, very nice. He's a great guy with a ton of knowledge and he's patient with scrubs like me.:)

4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I was fortunate to attend a "train the trainer" class taught by Evan. As a new trainer it really helped me. I'm ready for another one of those classes. Maybe we could get Evan to host a Fuge training session in KC. I would attend.

5. Hogleg

I'd be there in a heartbeat as well.

6. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the team is working it out well! Good job!

EvanG

7. Hogleg

Thanks Evan. I've started with the 9 bumper pile. Sending her with no force, forcing enroute and overlaying the back with fetch.

She is trying to spit out the bumper and go back to the pile as soon as she is at heel. Am I ok cleaning up the hold while at heel? When we spoke last you said to let her go if she is trying to go back to the pile.

8. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

She's still on a rope, right? Grab the rope as she completes the retrieve at heel. If she spits the bumper, force her on it. If she's truly force fetched there is no further use for the command "hold". Hold becomes a component of fetch.

EvanG

9. Hogleg

Evan,
    Thanks for the reply, we've worked our way through that and are nearing the end of pile work. Just need to stretch her out a little further. Traveling for work has slowed me down a bit but i have a couple weeks of no travel to hit it consistently and we're making progress.

I'll get a video the next time I have an extra set of hands.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I have no idea what your overall training schedule looks like, but there are skills your dog needs to work on outside of "going to the pile".
    Basic OB things like coming directly to heel, sitting quietly (no wiggling), hold (with no motion), clean delivery and then sitting (with
    no motion for the next send). Slow down. It would benefit you greatly if her OB and bumper handling skills were worked on separate
    from pile work. Those should be cleaned up and solid before asking her to begin pile work.

In addition, she is not very responsive and that is a "two way street".

To repeat....from the video, her OB skills are just not up to the levels required for doing pile work. It can be difficult (at times) to train
    a fast pup slowly. Too much speed without control, focus and responsiveness makes for poor sessions. Do daily OB sessions separate
    from pile work and balance these two with marks (field work). Slow down.

Skills are developed through precise repetitions and a great deal of practice. There are several skills required for "practicing" pile work.
    When viewing the video which skills (and there are several) do you think your pup needs individual work on?