Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Interesting to hear another perspective. When working with Evan he commented that if she goes for the pile, send her, I assumed this was early on in the FTP and currently she sits quietly at heel before being sent.

I would agree that I could sharpen up the OB, I'll put additional focus on that.

Give me an example of what you are referring to when you say she is not responsive?

Thanks for the comments I appreciate it.

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

That's a thought I would entertain in the spring. Need to hear from more who may be interested.

EvanG

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Reviewing the earlier videos, she was having an issue with "leaving", but she was coming straight back to you, turning, sitting and allowing you to take
    the bumper a "whole lot better" than the last video. Also, her more recent returns have a loop in it which generally indicates a sense of anxiety/pressure.
    In addition, the rope has become more of a distraction at the line than being useful (for both of you). That is more obvious if you contrast how it was being
    dealt with earlier.

Also, when praise is given the dog must know exactly what you are praising. It is much more effective if it is a simple good at the precise time. If you are
    training to "go" for the pile, saying good when she picks up the bumper is kind of "after the fact" and for the wrong thing.

To repeat, if her OB were solid, you would not need the long rope which appears to be a major distraction.

Good training involves practicing precise repetitions. There are several skills required for pile work and they should be in place before doing it. "In place"
    means doing those other skills well as in an automatic reflex. She was doing some of them better than in the last video.

One positive action that I see is that she likes you, but you need her to perform without "herding her around as much".

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

If someone needs to take the lead on this I would be glad to do so. I'll drop you a message to see if I can be of help. Regardless I would attend.

5. Hogleg

I'm in if the timing works.

6. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Do you have some more recent video of pile work?

EvanG

7. Hogleg

We worked all last week and made progress. Closed on a rental house friday and I've been busy. I'll get some video of the next session. Thanks for the interest, i think it's going well.