Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Kathlene Dewberry

Kathlene Dewberry New Member

Every pup is different. I think you should give her more attention then usual and try to understand what she actually wants.

2. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Kathlene,
    I appreciate the comment, but I don't know exactly what to do with it. I will continue to spend time with her, in the field and at home, trying to foster the drive to retrieve by making it fun. What I'm looking for are ways to do that. This is my third dog, not an expert by any means just enough knowledge to be dangerous, totally agree they're all different and reading each one is crucial.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

That is an excellent idea. Also, keep in mind that enthusiasm is contagious. It helps quite a bit to become almost childlike in your animation to excite a laid back pup. In addition, there are many positives in what "Timber Hole"mentioned about the excitement of "being in the field" and free to explore.

4. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

So does Smartwork. How much of the program do you have? Books? DVDs? Do you have the Puppy Program?

I consistently tell trainers to "Train the dog you're training." That simply means to avoid training a new pup like you've trained others before, or like you see someone else apply training to different dogs. While having a proven program to follow is important and very helpful, it's equally important to read each one, and apply the training according to what you see in your pup's responses. As a general rule, I throw only 2 or 3 retrieves for young pups for a while, even if they're on fire with desire to go again. This is a type of imprinting. If you're following Smartwork you've read or heard about this. Real birds can also be a big help.

EvanG

5. Hogleg

Evan
    I have the puppy CD and Volume I book.

Yes, training this puppy like the other two is not going to work. The more I focus on fun, with fewer short marks, the better we seem to be doing.

6. EvanG

Great! Is there anything you need help with?

EvanG

7. Hogleg

Evan,
    I think I have a handle on this. Fewer marks, lots of excitement and fun. Going to use pigeons this weekend and see if we can't get that prey drive to kick in as well.

Thank you for adding to the conversation, much appreciated.

Chad

8. EvanG

You're welcome.

EvanG

9. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Evan always preaches to get "in touch" with you feminine side when dog training.

High girley voice............"good dog", "good dog"..........rub 'em up when they do good. Let them know not only verbally, but physically that they've done "good"!!!

But Evan also says..............."Don't over-do the good dogs."

Pick and choose where you need it.

10. EvanG

Let me try to describe the balance in praise you've described. Yes, be exuberant about your praise. But don't praise all the time, or for everything they do. When people do that they remove anything that is special about praise. Connect your praise with proper behavior.

The two things that make praise most effective are Timing & Emotion.

EvanG