Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Kathlene Dewberry

Kathlene Dewberry New Member

Try to show her things or dogs that are very active or let your dog spend some time with other dogs at some pet care for some days. May be this would help to open a bit. Or else the way other members have mention is good option.

Hogleg likes this.
  2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Stop at 2-3 when they want more retrieves is correct. You are just building a habit of them turning off or getting bored. The pup is 14 weeks, they will get bored. Let them explore. Dog parks and doggy daycare will just cause bad habits because disobedience causes disobedience. I would recommend Hillman where the lessons will be mapped out for you.

3. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

With us, obedience takes a back seat to developing drive and marking ability. When I watched the Hillman tapes for the first time, it looked very similar to our puppy approach. We do obedience every day on our young dogs but train with repetition and not much force.

I am criticized by the people we train with because our pups do not always return directly with the bumper. It is problem that has always been remedied when hardcore training starts at 6 mos. of age, after collar conditioning.

At 7 weeks it is a couple of stuffed socks down the hall a few times per day. We do it when the pup is alert and get them excited first. We progress to small canvas bumpers thrown short distances outdoors. By 14 weeks the pups are doing 4 or 5 marks up to 100 yds. While they love to retrieve, they easily lose focus at the age. A grasshopper can become much more interesting than the same old bumper. It is not a worry. I just have my wife pick up the bumper and get him excited about it, then re-throw. We always act like idiots with pups, jumping around and yelling.

So much depends on the makeup of the individual dog. That is why I spend so much time researching pedigrees and personalities of potential sires and dams.

Timber Hole likes this.
  4. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

The pigeons were not a hit, a little big for her, she was not comfortable with them. It was bundled up so it couldn't get away or scare her. By the time we were done she would run it down and check it out.

Thawed out a smaller duck, now I have her attention! A few marks with that and she was all fired up. She gets more and more excited each time I break out the bumper as well. Seems to be working.

I really enjoy the progress, finding ways around perceived road blocks and learning to read the dog.

Thanks for all the help folks.

5. Hogleg

Introduced the primer pistol and a bird boy last night, went very well, i was pleased.

Had already introduced her to gun fire by taking her to my son's middle school trap practice. She wasn't distracted by the sound or the extra person and was very excited as well.

So far so good.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Might want to try wing-locking:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bird can still walk/waddle a bit for attraction but can't flap to frighten Pup and offers a "handle" for the little ones:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buttesmacker likes this.
  7. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Yup...pigeons or even quail. Or a duck wing on a fishing pole. Get that prey drive up.
    My VERY limited experience with CBRs is that birds mean a lot more to them than plastic sticks.

Hogleg likes this.
  8. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

Do you keep your duck wings? I usually freeze a couple during the season and wrap them around my bumpers. Helps out a lot.

9. Hogleg

I have a few whole ducks, duck wings and goose wings. I have a dummy with wings attached, she loves it. The whole duck was a hit.

I'm going to work with her some more with the whole duck and we'll revisit the live birds after a bit.

This^^, totally agree. My hunting buddy's would fetch 2 or 3 bumpers and then give you the look. This was as an adult.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like your buddy screwed up somewhere along the line. All five of my Chessies have greatly enjoyed retrieving bumpers - which are a whooooole lot handier to work with than birds. I've long maintained a loft of homers, as well as English caller drakes (the hens are a noisy PIA), for my pointing dogs and retrievers, but we use them very sparingly until well after the pups are hooked on bumpers and have good mouth habits well conditioned.

Wings, BTW, are trash at our house. They smell of carrion I don't want my pups messing with, instead of fresh game, and are more apt to promote chomping than whole birds.