Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

So with the drive issue, I'm still keeping it fun and exciting. Pup seems to be responding well.

My concern is steadiness. I'd like to work to keep her steady now that I'm working with the primer pistol, but don't want to squash the drive. She is 17 weeks.

I know, I know, read the dog.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Now that you have her "conditioned" to the gun, you don't have to use it all the time. Why would steadying a pup result in "squashing" drive?

3. Hogleg

I didn't explain that very well. I am getting her all fired up before the mark, much like a fun bumper. It's difficult to do that and have her sit.

I've only used the gun for one session.

4. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, they absolutely should retrieve as directed. And labs love flyers more than bumpers too. It just seems that CBRs have a noticeably better attitude when working with even frozen birds.

5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

This didn't come from any training manual but it worked for me. I ran her on a check cord and stood on the cord so she just had an inch or two of slack. She learned she didnt want to hit the end of that cord. I was always careful just to give her a tiny bit of slack. An additional benefit was that it freed up both hands.

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I can't even imagine a pigeon that is too big for a Lab or Chessie or Golden puppy.

7. Hogleg

8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In your post (24) you said, "The pigeons were not a hit, a little big for her, she was not comfortable with them".

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

The utility (restaurant squab producing) pigeons can get pretty big, and the ironically named "giant runt" may reach 2.5 lbs. But when I googled their weight, I found runts going for $100 a pop. So I doubt many are used for dog training.

Know the bird shown with the then 8-wk-old pup in my photo was out of racing stock and perhaps a bit smaller than most feral pigeons.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you're still having to get her fired up to retrieve, it might not be wise to start steadying just yet. Though mine are taught steadiness (albeit initially very briefly before release) from the git-go, if I had one that didn't think retrieving great fun, I might choose a different course until it did.

Hogleg likes this.