Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hogleg, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

2. JBdogboy

JBdogboy New Member

Got hit with a bad here in Georgia this morning. Just buildt a coop to keep some pigeons and ducks for training and the Ga. Ag. Dept has closed down the sale of fowl because of the Asian Flu. It Started in Tn and Al now it hit Ga. Be careful.

3. Hogleg

Good to know. Right now just frozen ducks and bumpers with wings. I'll let me buddy with the pigeons know.

4. Hogleg

Good morning all,
    Been working on introducing her to water. She's great until she runs out of bottom to walk on. I've been out twice to a nice sand bottom pit with a gentle entry. Trying to coax her out to a bumper that is just beyond walking depth. I've got her to "swim" just a couple times. Going to keep at it, baby steps I guess.

Anyone had one that was this timid around the water? Any advice other than taking it slow?

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Wing-clipped pigeon on land to build prey drive --- then toss the live bird into the water. Small increments as to distance.

Hogleg likes this.
  6. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Lunging water......equals excitement. :tu
    p.s. Don't test.....:no

[​IMG]

7. Hogleg

She'll pound the water up to her head, once the bottom disappears she's like "oh $hi!"

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Try taking her to water with a dog that loves it.

9. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Get yourself in the water. Go out till your waist deep or so and call pup to you....splash the water, sing a lot of hippy-to-dos/whoop it up, when pup gets to your side hold pup up in the water and then let her down to swim away....if she won't leave you then you move and get pup to swim and follow you.

Buttesmacker likes this.
  10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Mine hit the water swimming at 9 weeks all on his own. It was for just a few seconds but he did it regardless. He's 4 1/2 months now and had him doing water retrieves for the 1st time and the 1st time he left the bottom you could tell he was like "ohhhhh ****" for a second but his drive to get the dummy took over and he was a strait machine in the water. I was extremely happy.

Maybe just toss it a littl ways in and hopefully her drive will push her beyond her initial fear?