transferring to anchorage

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bigunga1, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bigunga1

bigunga1 Senior Refuge Member

hello guys...

transferring to anchorage first week of august....

unfortunately ill be working fri-mon....but hey i am blessed with a job when a lot of people don't have one so i'll gladly work weekends...

i'm working at ted stevens airport

now, is there any advice or direction i can get as far as where to start looking...

i'm a long time puddler "1985" or so but have never hunted AK... will be looking for any and all types of wing shooting...ducks, geese, grouse, pheasant etc etc...

i have never hunted sea ducks but would love to...

would like to join anybody willing during the week or for an hour or two in the afternoons if available...

i pay my way and will be bringing my own equipment unless told not to...

i know what the word "scouting" means

i will have to find a boat once i get there...i won't be dragging mine 4000 miles...

what decoys do i need to bring...species???

any help, any suggestions

thanks

Gary "bigun"

2. bigunga1

what species are typical... any and all or what... mostly mallards??? mostly widgeon???

we killed a lot o teal in south texas this season but not a single mallard...

what should i expect??? early??? mid season??? later???

thanks

oh and i'll be fishing too...somewhere...any help...

3. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

You will be wanting to join a local AK forum called the Alaska outdoors directory, so that you can get in touch with a more active local community online.

If you have a John boat with a mud motor of any kind, bring it. You can't get one up here that is affordable.
    Bring a small boat like a momarsh dp. You will not regret that. Without one you will be sitting at home a lot.
    Bring no more than 12 goose decoys. You might use them two days a year if there are any geese moving through. You will end up at some point painting a couple of them white to use as swan confidence decoys.
    Mostly puddlers with mallards and wigeon being the most numerous in certain areas. Pintails can really stack up some days. Green wing teal only in this part of the state. Most ducks are still brown until late September so having more hens can help ou early on.
    No field hunting near anchorage since all they grow is hay. No grains to draw in birds.

4. bigunga1

hey thanks ray...

i assume there is a lot of skinny water from your post....i've been looking for an aquapod for a while but they are like hens teeth and the cash is too when you do find one...would a canoe work out ok...i see a lot of potholes around...are any accessible....how do you get to them...atv???

i sold all my geese getting ready to move to texas which never happened ..i still have 3 or 4 dozen duck floaters...

the one i'm selling is a 1648 fisher marine with a 35 merc side console...i am learning the boats up there have gold in them...

i'll be looking for a 18 or 20 footer once i get settled...

any advice on shipping a car up there...i've looked into the ferry ..most likely...

don't want to deal with the canadian bs at the border...to many hand guns and long guns on hand...:reader

5. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Handguns are best flown in checked bags or shipped to ffl.

Hunting long arms are not much of a big deal unless they are black guns.
    You can mail your long guns using USPS to your self with no issues.

If you are taking the ferry you will still end up in Canada unless you make the crossing over to Valdez or Whittier.

You can drive the car to Seattle and have it shipped by totem ocean express cheaper than the ferry. Northland barge could be even cheaper but their schedule into anchorage is spotty.

A canoe works but some spots are really far out there. Most those pot holes you see are dead lifeless muskeg ponds. No food for anything. Search on here or the AOD and you will see that there is only two spots near anchorage that are hunted. With a canoe and no mud motor you will be with the crowds.

6. bigunga1

thanks ray...

im up for some clays sometime if you are...

anybody else live close by...