Trapping 2017-18

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by pointblind, Sep 9, 2017.

1. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Very cool! What type set? I have a few mink boxes out baited with muskrat but I've come to realize they are a very low percentage set. I'm on the property anyway getting a few rats and checking fisher so it can't hurt to try. I'm waiting for one of my rat sets to connect on a mink. Just simple bottom edge sets a culvert that has been staying somewhat open water.

2. WI SX2

WI SX2 Refuge Member

We got the mink in a box set. Also getting a few rats in colony traps under the ice. There are 2 other mink we are targeting with this cold weather setting in. Two coons last week when it was warmer, but I was hoping to do a little better. The fresh snow also showed a fox in the area.

pointblind likes this.
  3. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Nice :tu

4. pointblind

Added 3 more sets in a new area for Fisher yesterday. One of those sets is on fresh tracks. Only a few more days left.

The cold sure makes a guy feel alive! Yikes. Just amazing how all the critters do it. Found a rabbit hole under some roots this morning, you can see the ice crystals where the body heat/breath is escaping.

20171227_075233.jpg

5. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

So I've never done any trapping, but I got about 8-10 coons a fox and a coyote in the small 5 acre neighborhood wood behind my home. I know this cause I have a bowhunting deer stand and game cameras back there. would love to thin out the coons. What do you guys recommend? Spring hold traps? Live Traps? Snares? how bout bait? Big question, How do you guys put down the animal? .22? Club? other? Thanks for any recommendations.

6. pointblind

For coons the most simple trap would be a "dog proof". Set the trap, fill with some cheap dog/cat food, jam it in the ground and anchor the trap to a tree with some wire. A .22 will work just fine to dispatch.

[​IMG]

Adduckted likes this.
  7. pointblind

Only one more trap night left for a fisher. These crazy cold nights are not helping anything. This morning my temps were showing -8 and the winds were howling.

Really shocked I haven't scored a weasel yet. Had one cruise right past my box last night.

20171230_080731.jpg

8. pointblind

Came up empty for a fisher. Learned a few things and will have a different strategy next time. On to the next trapping adventure. Beaver? Mink? Fox/yotes?

20171231_072638.jpg

GK1 and SB2MAG like this.
  9. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I'd try coyote rd next?

But I have zero trapping experience :no.

pud123 likes this.
  10. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Sat in my heated deer blind last Thursday just to see what's around yet. Saw an otter on the creek.....and I've got a tag. Gonna have to do some googling to find out how to get one.

Is it legal to bait a 330 with frozen fish under the water? Seems like that might work.