Trapping 2017-18

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by pointblind, Sep 9, 2017.

1. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

Look for an otter toilet, it will be grey matter with fish scales. Then look for the pull out going to it. Almost every otter passing through will stop at the toilet.

2. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Hand chiseled through wayyyyyyyyyyy too much ice yesterday to set a snare pole off a local lodge I found last week. Gonna let it soak until the blisters on my hand callus up.

20180217_094002.jpg

20180217_094932.jpg

3. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Do you know where the beaver has a run already(prior to ice up) or chisel around till you find it?
    How much ice?!?! Fishing around here on about 34". with a chisel? Yikes...

4. pointblind

Didn't know this lodge was here until a few days ago so no idea where runs are. The lodge is on the outside bend of a river so I think they have fairly deep runs out of the house and bank dens. I hit the chisel all over trying to find hollow sounding/thin ice to locate runs but got nothing. You can see in the second picture (lower left) some branches sticking out of the ice for their feed bed so I decided to try a snare pole next to it. Just hoping its located somewhat near an underwater travel path and the partially skinned pole is an attractant. There was about 6' of water under the 2'+ of ice. If I wouldn't have had a buddy with me that is as dumb as myself I would likely have given up getting through it. Finding everything I've read about beaver trapping to be true.... it takes a strong back and a weak mind.
    20180217_081817.jpg

goosenazi likes this.
  5. Sasktrapper

Sasktrapper New Member

Good luck on the rest of the year. I had to pull my snare line a little earlier then usual due to me moving. Once the ice comes off I'll be ready to go after some beavers

pointblind likes this.
  6. pointblind

Walking up to the set this morning. All those chewings floating up and air bubbles..... a good sign!!!!

20180220_090536.jpg

Surprise!!!!!....... (***FOUL LANGUAGE WARNING**** Hahaha)

My first Otter. Crazy. I realize that where beaver are located so are otter but wouldn't think many are caught on snare poles.? Luckily I have 2 otter tags. I thinks its decent sized, about 41" nose to tail and 16lbs. It did a number on the snare but it held. I replaced the snare on the pole then re-set it. Can't wait for next check already!

20180220_102830.jpeg

BADLARRY250, hyper23, take'm and 12 others like this.
  7. JEYESLAYER

JEYESLAYER Elite Refuge Member

Nice otter congrats!

pointblind likes this.
  8. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Ha! That's awesome !!

I Guess chipping that big rectangle was worth it:tu

Otters are cool critters.congrats.

pointblind likes this.
  9. Sasktrapper

Sasktrapper New Member

If anyone sells to NAFA potting letters are up. Fingers crossed western heavy coyotes hold in price. I have 28 there. Hoping for $100 avg again

10. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Nice catch! Did you get two tags in WI? I’ve gotten 2 fisher tags before but never herd of 2 otter tags. Especially since I didn’t draw this year. LOL