Tree step failure

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by gooserslucer, Dec 26, 2012.

1. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Took a bad fall back in Novemeber when one of my tree steps pulled out of a healthy tree I was climbing. I have been using this step since I started bow hunting in 1992 with excellent results. Was wondering if others have had similar problems and what you are doing to be sure it never happens again. I think the problem was that I had left the steps in since last season and perhaps the threads in the wood rotted out. Just not sure. Will be out of my cast in a week and am anxious not to make the same mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Not hunting out of trees is not an option.

Mike

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

what type of step were you using? I have tried a lot over the years and frankly don't use them all that much anymore but wouldn't use anything else other than the EzyClimb brand and over the years have exclusively used the EzyClimb rod steps. Very heavy but all steel and go into any type of tree easier than any other step on the market. I have never had an issue with these steps backing out or getting loose even when I have left them in a tree for a season or two. If anything I have had some grow into the tree and had to take a wood chisel to get them unstuck.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I had a near miss a few years ago and switched to climbing steps. Anymore I seldom use anything other than a ladder stands.

The older I get the closer to the ground I like to be, :yes

4. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine fell 30' from a stick ladder this summer, it almost killed him and broke him up pretty bad. A squirrel had chewed the nylon strap that attaches the ladder to the tree.

I'm liking ladder stands (attached to tree with chain and binder) more and more myself.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I can't advise on tree steps. Th only ones I've ever used were before there were tree steps, just big azz nails driven in a tree. Not safe at all.

If you have tress where a climbing stand can be used, that's what I'd use, with a safety strap. Get a good stand that you can trust, there's a lot out there. I started with an old baker stand that was like trying to ride a surfboard in a tree. I have an ol man stand now that I really like.

No deer is worth getting injured or killed over.

6. gooserslucer

Thanks for the replies. I have always used the ezyclimb steps with the single swivel screw. Have always had total faith in them. I too have had steps grow into the tree, never to be removed. I cant get back to the tree right now to check things out because of its remoteness and my current use of crutches. My cast comes off in 6 days. I am really tired of these crutches. However, I feel very fortunate that a single broken bone in my foot was all that happened. I know I could have been killed or paralized.

I have been giving much thought to just using a climbing stand. I do have 10 really good stands out in the woods now and not quite sure what to do with them. I really think steps can be safe if removed each year and a safety belt is worn from ground up and back. My Summit hang ons have a very strong harness system with a Prussic slip not device. I plan on using it to climb with and then add a safety line from above the stand to the ground. The only danger point would be getting into the stand the first time and attaching the line. I certainly plan to keep deer hunting from trees. Just want to be a lot smarter about it.

Mike

7. fowlwhacker

If you have not tried the ez-rod versus the ez-step swivel step it really is much more heavy duty but also is heaver. I slowly transitioned all of my ex-step swivel steps to the rods years ago and gave them to my buddies.

8. gooserslucer

Did you ever have any problems with the swivel steps?

Mike

9. HONKERS41

HONKERS41 Elite Refuge Member

I don't use them anymore..i did'nt fall,but i slipped off one back a few years ago..I told myself,i'd never use them again...so i went to ladder stands and i never felt safer..it's pretty scarey just slipping from one,Hope everythings going well mike..Honkers41

10. fowlwhacker

Not total failure but if I recall I had a few that bent slightly from turning them and at that point I had concern about stress failure where the screw meets the step itself.