Tree step failure

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by gooserslucer, Dec 26, 2012.

1. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Got my cast off last Thursday and can get around a little bit now. Yesterday I went back to the tree where it happened to try and find the step that pulled out.. I did find it and what I found was that the wood the created the threads the step help on to had pulled out of the tree right around the screw of the step. My theory is that the step being in the tree for two seasons, was pushed out by the force of the growing tree and perhaps moisture is able to run down the steel threads and let the wood rot over time. Having used them for so long and with excellent results, I am thinking that a very important rule would be never to leave them in more than the 5 months of hunting season. If I use them next year, I will definitely use a climbing belt in addition to the one I currently strap myself in with now.

Mike

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

well lets hope this freak accident is a one and only for you. I am investing in one of them fancy prussit ropes for my kids this year. I have the hunter saftey systems for them but am always nervous about them climbing up and down any stand even if it is a metal ladder stand be it daylight or dark. Knowing that there are saftey things on the market I would feel bad if something happended and I know the family would make me feel even worse if I didn't try to take every precaution. There are a couple of old wooden stands on the property I have been hunting and didn't think to hunt any of them the days my kids were with me or any of the stands with portable steps. I know if I had a portable stand in the backyard with portable steps I know they would be climbing up and down it like a monkey all year with the other kids. I could see 3 to 4 of them going up it at a time.

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I quit using screw in steps for my lock on's years ago. They're a pain to put into the tree and the thought of ripping my leg or crotch open on the way down in the event of a fall is not really something I desire.

I've gone to using climbing sticks and narrow home built wooden ladders that strap on to the tree. I can have one of those on a tree and ready to hang a stand in just a couple of minutes. The down side is that you have to have a pretty straight tree and have to have a section with no lower limb obstructions where you need to strap the ladder.

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

I always wear a vest and tie to the tree on the way up and down (and while hunting). I know myself well enough to know that if i'm gonna fall it is gonna be when my clumsy butt is climbing up or down. Glad to hear your fall wasn't worse.

5. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Just to wrap this up, I did speak to someone at the Ezystep company and asked about what could have happened. He did say that they should never be left in from season to season and some trees lilke poplar and pine are very poor trees to use. My steps had indeed been left in for two seasons and were actually forced up by the growth of the tree. When I put my weight on the step it actually acted like a lever pulling the step out of the tree. Their website says to alway be sure step is flat against the tree and not lifted up as the one that gave way on me was. They actually reccommend that steps be taken out every day and replaced the next time us use them.

Having never had a problem in the past, I think that leaving them in one season is realistic and I will always use a climbing harness when ascending and descending my stand.

Good, safe hunting everyone.

Mike

6. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Another vote here for ladder stands. They are hard to beat if you are going to go with a more permanent style stand, I leave mine out year round.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

One of my buddies had a lock on snap both cables on him over the weekend while we were hunting. His harness saved him some serious injury and medical bills.

He had been in the stand for nearly 3 hours when it snapped....

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator