Treestands - which one?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Looking to get a new climber - had used an API (grand slam star extreme) for awhile but am looking for a new one for both bow and gun hunting.
    Narrowed it down to either a Summitt, API or Lonewolf -
    Which one do you guys recommend and of course why?
    And.....who has the best deals on them -
    Thanks -
    Bones:tu

2. ted brogan

ted brogan Senior Refuge Member

Lone Wolf sit and climb its lighter and rock steady:tu

3. Mr.Bones

Can you add a gun rest to the lone wolf's?
    Bones

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Get a Summit. I have bought nothing but Summit now for about 10yrs. Solid as a rock. They are more comfortable to sit in than any other stand. You can add features like a fold up foot rest, and a wrap around seat that makes sitting in the tree as comfortable as sitting at home in a recliner. Add an EZ hanger to the tree, and enjoy hunting like you never have. I absolutely love the Summit. I have tried alot of different stands....The Summit stands stick out above the rest. Summit...is the way to go.

5. tripleCBoykins

tripleCBoykins Senior Refuge Member

Tom Cat 2 best all around stand money can buy!!!!

6. BobbyDuck

BobbyDuck Senior Refuge Member

Lone Wolf sit and climb its lighter and rock steady:tu
    +1

7. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

Lonewolf are lite but a pain in the arse to climb..I have Timbertall it weights 13lbs and is fairly comfortable..I also have summits too very comfortable a lil heavier than my timbertall..It weights 23 lbs...

8. wingmastr23

Yea...that is the only drawback.....I huff and puff it to the tree.....knowing that once I get there, I can relax....and even take a nap if I want...lol

I think it is worth the extra weight....you just can't beat the comfort of that stand. (also, the design is pretty good!)

9. Mr.Bones

Let me ask you Summit guys a question - how are they for tree diameter size? What I liked about the API was the chain that allowed me to adjust to just about any size tree - which allows me better choices for shooting lanes.
    Wasn't sure with there cable system if it allows the same -
    Bones

10. wingmastr23

Bones -

My cousin has an API with a chain, they both get around the same diameter trees. The nice thing about the Summit is you don't have to fumble with a cotter pin in the dark. If it feels too loose or too tight, you just open up the slide, and adjust the cable to the next "knob"....You can do this in the dark.....trying to get a pin to line up with 2 holes and a hole in a chain.....well, that isn't too easy in the dark....and when you lose that pin (Which he did a couple times)....you are hunting from the ground!!:yes

Also...the Summit has a better system for gripping the tree....The API's "teeth" don't wrap around the tree enough, so it is easy for the stand to slip sideways! The teeth will grip the tree...but creates an axis that will cause your stand to rotate left or right.