Treestands - which one?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Jul 16, 2008.

1. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I read somewhere earlier in this thread about someone filing down the teeth of a Summit to make is grip the tree better.....

Let me add this: Don't get carried away doing that....especially if you hunt public property.....Most public property won't allow climbers/stands that will mark up a tree.....CO's can be jerks....don't give them another reason!!

2. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Thanks for all the input guys - Honestly, the advice and honest experiences helped out - picked up a Summit Viper Ultra - seemed a solid stand at a good price.
    Thanks again to all!
    Bones

3. olbarney

olbarney Senior Refuge Member

Best advise going . I have a summit bushmaster x5 and really like it BUT , i have sooo many stands in the woods i have only used it 4 times . Ill probably sell it soon and buy a lone wolf . Not that ill use it more than i used the summit , but it will make a diffrence when i go away on hunts . I have always found that sweating in the summer / fall hanging stands is better than sweating up the woods when im climbing . I live in the pines in new jersey so compitition on public land is INSANE!!! Gotta put up hang ons so they know your there where i live .

4. KILLDUX

KILLDUX Senior Refuge Member

summit titan or the equalizer climbers

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I see that you already picked up a stand but I love my Summit Goliath.

Adjusting a Summit during the climb is a piece of cake so long as you have one that is a stand up / sit down climber.

The factory teeth on my Goliath grip so well that it actually makes it sort of a pain to kick loose. I would have to carry a hammer with me if it gripped any better. :l

6. nra4evr56

nra4evr56 Elite Refuge Member

Are you saying you unhook the cable from the stand and reset your angle while climbing?You got more rocks than I do if so.

7. wingmastr23

LOL!!! I have done it too.....you can sit on the bar of the top piece while adjusting the bottom.....and you can obviously stand on the bottom platform while adjusting the top....

OH!!...another thing I added to mine was a heavy duty rope. Tied it to the top and bottom piece....and I NEVER take it off...even when transporting....I had a little "mishap" one time in the tree.....(The bottom fell all the way down - about 20')....lol....That won't happen again:no

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

That's how you do it. They even talk about it in the DVD that comes with the stands now. You don't unhook the cable from the stand on the newer Summits for adustment. They have a spring lock and the cable slides for adustment. It would be pretty tough for the cable to accidentally come completely out.

They also come with a factory tether rope now to tie the climber and platform together. I have the length of mine set so that it is tight at the fullest extension of my climbing stroke. If something happens and it does slip, it's not going anywhere that I can't reach it.

9. wingmastr23

Yea...that is what I was using....the metal clasp that pinches the rope didn't pinch it tight enough...and it slipped thru....Now I have a heavy duty rope...

10. LHbenellishootin

LHbenellishootin Senior Refuge Member

summit you won't find one better