Tri Star O/U??

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Lake O Hunter, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Refuge Member

I've had one for about five years. Used it one season when my SBE was down. The only issue was a failure to set the second trigger with very light loads when wearing heavy clothing. Other than that it's been flawless. It does bite a bit with 3-1/2" loads. Had to put a pad on the back of the trigger guard to keep from bruising my finger. With 2-3/4 or 3" loads, not a problem. Overall I think a great gun for the money.

3. Lake O Hunter

Thanks for the info; how light of a load were shooting; can you shoot clay loads and have it set the trigger?

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I traded a .22 for a NIB TriStar Setter. The TriStar had really nice wood....but that was the only nice thing about it. Felt clunky, had a really horrible trigger, loosened up really quickly. I shot half a box of shells through it at clay targets and put it back in the truck. Knew I'd never shoot it again and sold it the next month.
    It takes more than just going bang when the trigger is pulled, for me to like a gun.

Another way of saying "it's a good gun for the money" is "at least I didn't pay much for it".

5. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Refuge Member

The Tristar Hunter and the Setter are not the same gun. Kinda like 870 Express and Wingmaster comparison. Is the Hunter as nice as the Citori Synergy camo? No, but it doesn't cost $2k either. For a functional camo over and under its a decent gun.

6. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Refuge Member

The loads I had trouble with were light 1oz steel water swatter loads when I was wearing a heavy jacket. The jacket cushions the recoil needed to set the trigger. At least that's what I was told. No problems at all with factory 1 or 1-1/8 target loads.

7. Lake O Hunter

Thanks for all the info!

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

They are made by the same company, to the same price point. Even though the model names are different, and the chambers have differing lengths, I'd say they are comparable.
    (the Wingmaster and the Express are NOT made to the same price point...)

9. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Refuge Member

Tristar Setter retail $534. Tristar Hunter Mag retail $729. Same price point? They are comparable but NOT the same gun.

10. Lake O Hunter

Again thanks for all the info; what did you use for trigger guard pad?

I guess we have differing opinions of what good gun for money means; I am not being argumentative, but I think you are in the 'at least I did not pay for it category' Tuleman vs the good gun for money. I'm looking for a O/U that will shoot all shells (i'll primarily shoot 3" but like to cover my basis) in camo that I'm not afraid to drop or loan it out. I'll by Caesar Guerini but its a different tool for a different sport and a significantly different price point....