Tri Star O/U??

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Lake O Hunter, Feb 4, 2018.

1. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

I don't beat up my wife or my guns . Take care of them and I know they will take care of me when needed .
    You know what the only thing worse than getting beat in a shooting game is ? Getting beat by someone shooting a ugly gun .

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Native. Well said, exactly why I don't take the Citoris duck hunting. Why take a $2000 gun when a $600 gun will suffice. I don't think the birds are much impressed by a Citori. Tristar kills em just as dead.
    I wasn't trying to impress anyone by the fact that we've shot 1000 rounds thru the Tristar. Was just saying that according to Kevin the gun is on it's last legs. I am real impressed that someone has 50k rounds thru what must be a high dollar gun. Need to get one of those!

3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

The less expensive guns are great, until they aren't. Resale is poor and if something goes wrong, it can be more difficult to get parts or quality service done. As long as people know this going in, who cares what someone else wants to shoot at ducks?

4. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

"Why take a $2000 gun when a $600 gun will suffice. I don't think the birds are much impressed by a Citori."
    Because I can and when I am no longer able to hunt my grandchild will still be using it . And the birds do not know what killed them .

"I am real impressed that someone has 50k rounds thru what must be a high dollar gun. Need to get one of those!"
    Don't be too impressed because it's not that rare , and it's more of a "entry level" O/U than what would be considered a high dollar gun . I don't think you need to get one of those . Reason being they are made to be used , and used hard , not hanging on a wall being looked at .
    If you are happy with what you shoot that is all that really matters . Does't matter if it is a $500 gun or a $5000 gun if it suits your needs use it .

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

'Maybe' it comes down to how you hunt. If I hunted out of a club, rode into my blind on an ATV, or could even keep my gun in a case till I got to the hunting spot, things might be different.
    I started at age 5 with a .410 Stevens Single Shot. Dad got me a youth model Beretta 20ga single shot trap gun the next year. Shot that for a couple of years, then got a used Montgomery Wards Revelation SxS in 20ga. Shot that till I was about 12, then got a used Wingmaster 12ga, which was all I needed till steel became mandated. Some bank was offering a FREE Citori if you put a certain amount in their bank. Dad and I both did it, and now I had a 3" 12ga. I shot that for everything. Trap, skeet, and all hunting. After a few years, it started showing the miles, and I felt bad. It was my first 'new' gun, and the first on I bought for myself. I was painting it with Bowflauge every duck season, then stripping it off for clay shooting. (I happen to like a camo gun, for personal reasons) I was getting tired of that, and the Citori was picking up a lot of dings and scratches. So, when a Win 1300 Turkey gun was up for auction at an event, I bought it. The Citori was retired from duck hunting for good.

When I moved up here, I wanted to go back to an O/U, but I knew I would be beating it up. The Baikal's had a good reputation over on ShotgunWorld, so I found one with aftermarket chokes for $400. I tried several camo options (dip, tape, cheap paint, and finally, epoxy paint) over the years. Everything got scratches, and dings in the wood, but I didn't care. It fits me much like the Citori, and never failed to fire.

When I decided to start shooting a 20ga, I went with Baikal again. I shot one for about 4 years, and it also ended up with an epoxy camo job. I wasn't crazy bout shooting a camo gun on the 5-Stand, so I got another one. I have about $1300 in those 3 guns. 2 of em get beat up, one looks good on the gun rack.

I hunt a river a lot. Sometimes, I am sitting on rocks. Unless you lay the gun across your knees, (which isn't gonna happen 100% of the time) you are laying it on rocks. Sometimes I am sitting in mud. I have gone down twice in the river. It isn't over knee deep, so not a danger, but the gun takes some abuse when that happens. So, I choose to take guns that I do NOT care about their cosmetic beauty. The only things I require is they fit me, and they go bang when I pull the trigger.

I do. I can afford to shoot anything I want. I have considered upgrading my Trap gun, but I am going to wait until I fall out of the top 5 at our events until that happens.

Now you know. I appreciated how good that gun looks too much to beat it up in the field.

I was thinking about this while I was out splitting wood. I counted in my mind. I have 9 shotguns. Each has a reason for being in the safe. Each has a place in my heart. At any given time, each is the one I want to have in my hands.

This is true. A guy shouldn't have to explain his gun. He should only have to explain why he can't hit anything with it. :l

6. Seahawk18

I am happy with what I shoot. Can be an SBE a Franchi or a Tristar. It matters not to me if its a $2000 or a $500 gun. It only matters that I shoot them well. My Citoris stay in the safe during duck season but not for the rest of the year. I expend more rounds for dove, upland, and barn pigeons than ducks. I like shooting guns that are almost a work of art. But there is a time and place for them.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The Hunter that Lake O Hunter referenced retails for $557. The Setter I referenced retailed for $499. I'd say they're the same price point; yes, not the same gun but quite comparable.

8. Seahawk18

From Tristar web site
    Hunter Mag Camo 35529 $729
    Setter S/T 30129 $534
    That's not the same price point to me.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

10. Seahawk18

If price point reference was for Bud's prices.
    Setter $415 Hunter Mag $558