Trip down south

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Jan 1, 2018.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Where would you guys recommend a trip south to extend my search next year? As I sit at home bored cause I'm not a hardcore enough to fish in this weather I think a trip south is in order. I would be looking to hunt ducks over water as that is what I'm set up to do. I was thinking southern Illinois or Missouri. Open to other places as well. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Missouri is a good choice. Tennessee Arkansas Alabama Louisiana can all be fun too. Florida has some great hunting.

3. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

I've got reelfoot lake on my bucket list. Back to Canada this fall and maybe reelfoot lake the following year.

4. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Florida is on the bucket list. Try and nock a mottled and the tree ducks off the list. For you guys that have gone to the conservation/public areas in southern IL, MO, or TN do they produce? Are they draw or free for all like WI. Are most walk in or do I need a small craft like a skiff/canoe? Otherwise would I be better off trailering a boat? I know these are broad questions but just trying to get some idea of what to expect. Are the locals friendly or is going to be pretty hostile?

Thanks,

Chase

5. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I've been to several in Missouri. All were draw spots. They can produce, but often depends on your draw. What you need to take depends on which one you decide to hunt.

6. phan6622

phan6622 Elite Refuge Member

I know a guy in florida that can get you the mottled... tree ducks are hit or miss for this guy. chance at stud ringbills and bluewings.. on okechobee.. good guy.. pm for info. You can go bass fishing too for a nominal fee.

7. rmb79

rmb79 Elite Refuge Member

Several of the parks in MO are draw (Bob Brown, Nodaway, Grand Pass, Four Rivers, etc). they do have a poor man area though which is a free for all.

Just need to check the kill totals for the pools and hope you draw a good pill. Chances are you will kill out if you draw. Here is a couple of tips:

Don’t wear your waders and calls into the morning draw. You only look like a dumb As s.

If you draw a spot. Go get breakfast, come back at sunrise watch your pool and find the X. Go in and kill them from 9:00-noon. Most areas have a 1 or 2 pm closure.

Lots of other properties in MO that are a free for all. Just put your time in and you will kill birds.

Once you see the amount of birds in MO, you will reconsider ever hunting WI again

Ducker 4 Ever likes this.
  8. doogowtime

doogowtime Senior Refuge Member

Headed to Arkansas this sun morn, come on down and bring nazi with ya.

9. Grand Passage

Grand Passage Elite Refuge Member

The Texas Gulf coast is a great place to hunt. Lots of public marshes there, McFaddin, Texas Point, Sea Rim, JD Murphree, Anahuac all good spots. It's been awhile since I've hunted them, but we always did well. As said, once you hunt some of these other states, you reconsider duck hunting in WI.