Trip help - halibut, salmon, etc.

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by MissedAgain, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to head up from FL (wife in tow) over July 4th next year (2012) for a week. Literally, "I want to take the trip just for the halibut." Tongue in cheek but true. Have wanted to catch one of these over-sized flounder for years - since I was a kid and finally can do it. Not looking for a 200# fish but 75-100# would be awesome. 50# would work.

Please forgive me if the questions are redundant or unintelligent. I get questions for building Hybrids and hunting/fishing/sight seeing in FL that most people know the answers to, well almost everyone except the guy asking it...

I'm clueless as to what I've gotten myself into and don't want to talk to a travel agent because travel agents don't fish - they sell based on comission. Plus, if AK guiding is anything like FL guiding - there are plenty of people selling fish trips who should not be. My parents, sister, and cousin have all been there and tried the fishing with less than satisfactory results because they did it in conjunction with tours. I'm also not taking a tour. hmmm.

So - here come the questions:

Is the beginning of July a good time? If not - when should I go?

Where should I go & if possible, who with? Seward has come up a few times - is this the place?

Are there any good tasting salmon running around that time? (I hear the pinks taste horrible - so let's skip 'em. I think sockeyes look the coolest with those big hooked jaws.)

Any good salmon guides near the halibut fishing grounds?

Is it smart to do a fly-in salmon trip? Worth the cost and such for the extra scenery and such?

Also - please feel free to recommend lodges or places to stay.

I'm trying to do this on $5,000 if possible. $1500 airfare, $X lodging, $X fishing, $X sight seeing (glaciers and what not), and $X shipping fish home. I can spend extra on food.

Want to fish a couple half days for salmon (2 people) and a full day for a fattie flatty (may charter a 6-pack for the day if that is wise or may take a second trip for one if necessary - did I say I wanted to catch one of these?). Otherwise, relaxing for a few days with the mountains as a backdrop will be pretty neat.

Thanks!

PS - I have heard about the threat of the limit going from 2 of any size to 1 at 37 inches or less. That would severely limit my enthusiasm. Any truth to the rumor????

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Lots of questions there, I don't have time right now but I will do my best to get to them today, but I do have a busy day at work.
    Seward is a good place to start, the Kenai Peninsula has what you are looking for. I will warn you that the average halibut is around 25lbs, I wouldn't get your hopes too high, they are great to eat, but fishing for them is not the most exciting thing, but....personally, I do love fishing halibut, you just never know.

The Southeast has the 1 fish under 37" limit, SouthCenral does not (not yet anyways)

You also may want to check out Kodiak.

3. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

But been there a few times, in fact we went this year the last month in June. My dad managed a 35 pound King off the Kenai and that was the only fish we caught in the slot limit. We fished with Jeff King and had a blast. I would recommend him to any one.

Halibut out of Anchor point or Homer. Flat fish trips are averaging 200 per person per day.

On another note I fished with Strawberry somethin or other out of Sitka a while back and we totally hosed the Haliubt and salmon in trip after trip.

4. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Jeff is a really good fishermen and has been on the river a long time, he knows his stuff. June was tough on the river this year, we had to put in a lot of time for our kings this year (I guide on the river as well). The past few years June has been really good to us, this year with the no bait the success rate was way down, if you were getting 1 or 2 a day you were doing pretty good. Lots of guys got blanked day in and day out.

Halibut is generally prett good in our area, most of them are 25lbs or so, there are much larger ones out there and they do get caught, on an average day with 5 or 6 guys out halibut fishing most are 20 to 30 lbs with one or two 50 to 75. There are those expetional days, we just had 4 guys get a 120 and the others were 50 plus pounds, they left with 170lbs of halibut meat.

5. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

BR,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

6. srduck

srduck Senior Refuge Member

If you are looking for bigger flat fish.. I would go to Valdez and book a trip with "No Excuses" or the "Dan Orion" they book up way in advance so book early.

7. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

Don't discount Valdez for halibut. There's quite a few big ones taken from there and not as crowed as some of the places south of Anchorage.

If you want a better chance for barn doors, Dutch Harbor is the place.

A good place to read a lot of info is the Alaska Outdoor Forums
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Do a search on the saltwater forum and will bring up a wealth of info...including good charters. There are some lousy captains, so word of mouth is your best bet.

If you're going July 4, make your reservations early in the year (car, charter, hotel, etc). That's a big week(end) for residents to go.

8. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Got back to you with a PM. I will be out for a day or two as tomorrow is our opener and I got a little bit of a boat ride tonight and a camp out.