Trip Help

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by wvlippo, Oct 10, 2012.

1. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

Well I found out that were taking a family Alaskan cruise next summer for my FIL 65th birthday. We're all going with the idea that we can split up and do our own thing on many of the days, so obviously I want to book a few fishing trips on our day stops. I wondering out of my options which would have better fishing. Figured I'd like to hit halibut one day, salmon one day, and then walk in for trout or whatever at least one day. Probably go with the wife once or twice and the FIL once or twice. We are going June 28 - July 5. No real trophy quest, just looking to catch some fish and enjoy Alaska.

We will have time at :

Ketchikan
    Icy Strait
    Juneau
    Skagway
    Seward

So what should I start planning???

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

In the southeast towns you can get in half day salmon trolling charters easy enough. If you go through the cruise line they will hold the boat for you if you are late. If you go through one of the guys standing on the dock you may have to deal with an emergency flight seeing trip to catch up to the ship in the next port.

I would do the halibut and rock fish in Seward. You might even get into some reds or silvers in the bay depending on the fish's mood.

For trout there may be options in southeast for cut throats or steelhead, but you will need to do that research on your own.

Once done with Seward you could head over to the Russian and spend a day chasing rainbows and dollies on the upper Kenai drift boats or walking up the Russian.

3. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

That is pretty darn good advice.

4. wvlippo

Thanks for the pointers. I'll start looking for outfitters. I saw some boats that the cruise recommends but wasn?t sure if they recommend them because they get the cruise company gets a cut or because they feel they?re the best outfitter??

5. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

Living in Juneau, I can agree with most of Ray's points accept one. I would rather see you go through guides that aren't listed with the cruise ships because they do take such a huge cut, 1/4th or more. These outfits run everyday all summer and they are EXTREMELY aware that their customers can't miss their boat. They won't let you get back late and they run on tight schedules. Don't let that worry you. :tu

If you have any Juneau specific questions, just let me know. :)

Erich

6. wvlippo

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of trying one of the non cruise affiliated charters if I hear of a good one. Figured they might offer a better trip at a better cost. Looking online some and there looks like a lot of options!! Figure someone who has at least been around a while and looks to have good equipment is a good place to start.

7. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

Double-check with the cruise lines before you make any reservations. I've had quite a few folks come up here planning on getting together, take them flying, etc., only to find out they were on a pretty tight leash...hardly any non-organized" free time.

8. twells

twells Senior Refuge Member

www.icybaylodge.com

Check them out, I have done several trips with this outfit; everything from silvers and dolly's to 200lb halibut.

good luck,

Thomas Wells

9. kpswihart

kpswihart New Member

Should be able to catch all the halibut and see all the whales you want in Icy Strait that time of year. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Bear viewing can also be good and tours are available if weather keeps you from fishing.

10. wvlippo

Thanks for all the help. There is a lot of things to choose from!!