Triple & Blind plus "Got Air!'

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KwickLabs, Mar 5, 2018.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

training day - "triple and two blinds"
    [​IMG]

"finished"
    [​IMG]

"Got Air!
    [​IMG]

Keith S. likes this.
  2. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Nice setup. What was your wind?
    Also, I am trying to learn more concepts to setup for my own dogs finished stuff. What concepts, if any, were you trying to teach here? Like I would look at #4 and say that is "tight to gunner" blind.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The wind was left to right (a cross wind). The three marks were (left - 135 yds., middle - 59 yds., right 109 yds. ).
    The middle (shortest and "go") was designed so as to have a long, inline memory. The left side blind was difficult and
    required going between two shrub trees with a taller stick weeds cover (go through, not around). The longer blind on
    the right side was supposed to be a "tight behind the gun station" concept. This concept has been run often in KRD's.

The memory was difficult for several reasons. First, it was inline. Secondly, I over compensated for the wind and the
    mark fell off behind a tree so the full arc and fall were not totally visible. Then the sunlight had made the holding blind
    (where the winger was placed) very shiny and bright which pulled her off to the right. In addition the line went tight right
    past a large evergreen and the terrain was "open" beyond. This would tend to "suck her" to the right AND the wind was
    pushing her to the right. If I had not blown a very quick whistle she would have been out of sight.....not good. This was
    the most difficult part of the setup. It is very common for a retriever to pass a shrub and "suck" behind out of sight. With
    all the other "aids", this would have been expected. Fortunately, recognizing a few made preventive anticipation possible.
    I did not see all of them until afterwards.....duh. :h

p.s. What is worse when planning a setup is having two factors that cancel each other. :yes

"Whistle in mouth" regards, Jim

teul2 likes this.