Trophy Sport pitch question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by cjc16, Aug 16, 2017.

1. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

1995 US1... Are you out there??? I know you have experience with this particular prop (and many others). Anyone else who can give me their .02, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a Havoc 1656 DBST (step transom) with a 2017 50 Merc and jack plate. I normally run a QS Silverado (Merc Vengeance) in a 15p. It has ok holeshot with me or when I've only one other person in the boat and light load with that prop. Top end I can run 42mph. I'm looking for a hunting prop for quick holeshot, shallow water, and load carrying. I was told that whatever pitch I currently have, that is what I should chose for the Trophy Sport (4 blade). Well, I got a TS in a 15p and ran it this weekend. I'm not impressed at all with the holeshot, which is the primary reason I wanted the TS. It actually did worse than my 3 blade 15p. With the TS and just me in the boat, using my Vidometer app on my phone, it stalled out at about 10mph for a sec and didn't start really climbing till after 20mph. Unfortunately, I do not have a tach... debating on getting the cheapo Tiny Tach ($50) or getting the Vessel View Mobile dongle for my motor ($250) so I can see much more info. Anyway, I'm thinking I really need a TS in a 13p, going by how crappy the 15p was with just me in the boat. Especially if the TS should run the rpms of a prop 1" larger. However, I don't want to be pinging the rev limiter if I have a light load. I have had a 14p Vengeance on it before and never hit the rev limiter.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Not any help....sorry, but want to watch this thread. I have a 1652 with a 60hp on a jack plate. I'm seriously considering the TS in a 13p for my rig for the same reasons as you. I currently run a 3-blade yami ss prop in 14p and 15p depending on fishing or hunting. But I want the 13p TS for hunting, just for that quick giddy-up.

3. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

sdhunter... the 40-60 mercs are all the same, but with an air intake restrictor and some ECU difference. Prior to the 2017 models, you could pull the intake restrictor and basically turn a 50 into a 60 with the exception of the rev limiter... I believe the 60 has 62-6300rpm vs the 50's 6000rpm max. The reason I know this is because I pulled my restrictor and as soon as it hit WOT it would go into guardian mode until restart. I say all this because when the restrictor was out (theoretically having a 60hp), I tried a TS 15p that had been worked to a 17.5p. I have never been in a boat that had that kinda holeshot and "set ya back" power... it was unreal. So I figured after I put the restrictor back in and putting my motor back to stock 50hp, it would have no problem turning a factory TS 15p with comparable results of a "60hp" to a 17.5p. This was obviously not the case. But the experience I had with that worked prop got me hooked on the TS. I know 1995 US1 has run the TS on his boat(s) and supports them for a giddy up load pulling prop. He is also the one that said the TS will run about an inch larger than advertised, since the extra blade causes rpm loss. So the rpm range should be that of a 14.

sdhunter, what kinda boat do you have? My Havoc weighs 600lbs bare and with accessories I'd estimate it's about 750-800lbs. When I put that into mercury's prop selector it even suggests a 12p, but I just think ill be hitting the rev limiter if I'm ever just carrying a light load with a 12p. If you're ever in current or crossing current, you absolutely do not want your motor going down on you.

4. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

I have a G3 1652SC Gator Tough mod-v, may be a few hundred pounds heavier, I run a CMC jack plate, dual batteries, 12 gal tank and trolling motor. I'm not displeased with my yamaha ss 14 and 15p props, but would like a quicker hole shot for hunting. The 15p prop will get me up to 42mph, 40mph with the 14p. But I will give up some top speed for hole shot for hunting loads. I will try the TS 13p, hopefully this season. It's not a need, just a want.

5. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

You are probably a little heavier than me. I only have 1 battery, gal tank (portable), and no trolling motor. I have a Vance Mfg. hydro jack, which is a breakaway/jack plate combo. Another benefit to the TS is the ability to run shallow and still have agility and turning capabilities. Like you, this is a want for me as well. Other than stability, one of the reasons I got the boat I have was for the capacity. My current set up is great for spring/summertime runs, but come winter when I have 2-3 buddies, guns/ammo, decoys, and a dog... it ain't gonna cut it. When do you expect to be getting your TS 13p? Anytime soon?

6. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Look up Powertech props. I have used them for years on my tunnel hulls and they have a special "lifter" style prop made for tunnels. Picking up a new 70 4 stroke yammi tomorrow for my 1860 plate boat and will be testing a 13p 4 blade lifter prop.

7. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

I've had several people tell me they recommend powertech props. Which 4 blade are you going with? I like the SCB4 at the moment... "EXCELLENT CORNERING, HOLESHOT, AND PORPOISE CONTROL"

8. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

I also see the SWC4's elevation ability, but its diameter is 10.75 vs the SCB4's 10.3 diameter.... that's a lot of prop to turn. Especially when I'm wanting a good holeshot prop. I dont know if my 50 4S has the low end torque to turn size.

9. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I think on Powertech's site they have a form you can fill out and they will try and match the best prop to what you want. I have no clue which 4 blade prop I use, I just know that it for tunnels.

10. cjc16

cjc16 New Member

That's another thing... are Havoc boats really tunnel boats? Some call them tunnels but by definition, I think they are still a flat bottom boat. There is no "tunnel" gap in the hull bottom. Definitely a performance flat bottom boat though.