Truck cap/topper suggestions

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by musher, Nov 8, 2017.

1. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

decided to get a cap for the pickup. Any recommendations on a quality cap? I’m not close to much to go look at caps so trying to make an internet decision and make the drive to Fargo or Winnipeg for the purchase.

Looks like Leer, Century and A.R.E. are available in the area. Looking at a fiberglass one.

Thanks

2. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Those are all good options, as I've said on other threads before: GET THE WINDOORS! You will be glad you did, I have a Unicover brand topper

Boomerzuma and Ringbill like this.
  3. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

I agree. I have an ARE with windoors and it is the bomb. Nice not having to crawl to the front to get something and nice to open the windows to air it out. At the time I got mine ARE was the only one that had them.

4. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

My ARE was a piece of poop. Parts feel off and/or broke, it leaked. I've had a LEER now for a year and think it is better made. I also added the outlets in the back as well as having the key fob set to the lock, very nice features.

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

My last 4 have been ARE and haven't had lick of trouble.

Ditto on Windoors, also get the 'dog screens' installed over the regular bug screens.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Look for the option of being able to lower the window that is next to your car window for ease of cleaning. I'd also look for only one lock/handle option instead of two. I've had both Leer and Century, Leer is better made but I've only bought the least expensive models in both.

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Have owned many on company trucks, which I used to get every two years or so until I retired. Last 5 or 6 have been ARE cab height models. They have performed well. Just bought an ARE for my post-retirement truck. I get the side access windows. I just field hunted geese this morning and it is nice to be able to have access to the front of the bed without crawling in. I just put the decoys in through the side windows.

ARE :tu

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    You would be VERY HAPPY with an alum. topper. Very easy to remove when ever you need your trk to be a trk! and light.. This one is 12 yrs old and never had a moments problem. T handles with locks if you need them Two people and lift this one right off. You cant do that with a fiberglass one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side doors are a must!!! See that clamp on the right hand side? Just 4 of them holding the whole topper on. East to remove and put back on.

My is a Swiss topper...(http://www.swisscaps.cc/) but most are made the same.. So much lighter too! I gave $740.00 for mine & it came with the ladder rack on top.. You wont get a fiberglass for that.

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'..........

9. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I took my 8' fiberglass topper on/off with 2 people. Not all that heavy once you get the balance point figured out.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I was in a money bind when I bought my last one, so I could not spring for all the goodies I wanted. I agree, side opening windows would be nice, very nice. It was in the plans, but not in the budget.

I got a Century. Basic topper. One thing I like is the dual handle window. Had a single handle on my other truck. While this takes 3 seconds longer to close, you never have to worry about it going out of alignment.

The aluminum ones have their advantages. Too bad they look so ugly. Some things I can compromise looks for utility, not my truck.

Never had the desire to take the topper off. For me, you either want a topper on there all the time, or you don't. I get that some want more utility from their truck, but I don't.

Had the option of wired lighting, or the battery 'pod' for the interior. Went with the pod. Works fine. There are so many options now for LED lights that can be stuck anywhere, I think the wired lights will go the way of the dodo.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.