Truck cap?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Clint, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

I recently purchased a used 2009 F150 with the small 5 1/2 ft bed. In order to fit all my hunting crap in the small bed I've been thinking about buying a cap. I would like one that is sleek and parrell to the top of the cab. Also T handles on the back and lockable. The sides windows would be nice as sliders for venting the dog during transport.

What brands have y'all used and pros and cons?

Thanks

2. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

I have had a couple made by Leer. They were very well made and held up a lot of abuse. Work and recreation.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The Leers are very good, I've had both caps and hard tonnues on my work trucks, the windows are nice but I always got mine without because I kept my tools in there.
    Out of sight out of mind, if your not going to keep anything of value in there then the windowed caps will be fine, they are just not that secure and can be broken into.

4. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of the slider slide window for better air circulation for the dogs, thats it. I wouldnt have much of value stored in the bed of the truck, at least not for any period of time.

I heard of Snugcap but they seem to be a mid-west/ west coast company, theres not a dealer east of the missippi if i remember correctly. Their product looks good, but i doubt customer service would be a trick at those distances

5. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

I strongly suggest windoors, you won't believe how handy they are.

6. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Snug pro is the highest quality, and has the highest roof load capacity @400lbs.

7. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I have an ARE on my Chevy. Side windows open all the way so I can reach in and put stuff in. Light in topper also hard wired to truck. Very happy and it was around 1300

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Described mine exactly. Love it.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

This is my 'new to me' '03 S-10 ZR2. That is a Snugtop. Sliding windows, dual latches. Not sure how old it is, but it seems very solid.
    [​IMG]

Don't get single handle latches. Sure, seems like a time saver, but lots of long working parts there. Dual handles, simple, secure. (I have single handle on my F-350, don't care for it)

Lifting access side windows seem pretty nice. If I were to buy new, and money was no option, I would go that way. My dog rides in the back, so the venting isn't an issue. I can see advantages to the packing process if you had side access.

10. eriegunner

eriegunner Senior Refuge Member

buy factory direct jeraco in milford pa take a little trip