Truckee River Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Norcal Ducker, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Norcal Ducker

Norcal Ducker New Member

Hello all, I am a novice fly fisherman if I am being generous so I need some help. I want to know which flies to try on the truckee? Also, any recommendations for a fly rod and reel set up that can catch anything from bass to trout.

2. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Well you didn't get any bites on that OP ~ If you're fishing the Truckee you're pretty good ~ river fishing it's self is tricky ~ I'm not great at it ``` I do wonder how far from Fanny Bridge ( you know, up by the outlet, by the Bridge Tender, that's still there isn't it ) almost all my fishing is on the south side of the lake ~ haven't been up north side, for a while ```
    But ~ not that I'm real hot with dry flies ~ but something with a bit of a tail looking thing ~ not so much bouncing across the top of the water ~ but floating down from where you're standing over and just past where the water is running fast ~ to where it widens out and is kinda like a pond ~ there where the trout just hang out and the water is moving slower ~ but your bait or fly is still moving a bit from the flow ``` Well ~ If I was up that side ~ I'd do it like that ```

Best of luck ~ you posted this a good while ago ~ hope I explained it good enough ~ again good luck ```

Just re read your post ~ you don't say whether you're up in the Sierra ~ California side or down in Nevada ~ that would make a difference ```