Trump Travel Ban Fully Legal!

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by cootmeurer, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Actually, no. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and know many assimilated Muslims (those I know tend to be black Muslims from Africa). One was my daughters soccer coach. From those I have met, I find that the educated Muslims tend to assimilate well. But I am also aware of the "communities" that some establish where they close themselves off to outside influences. So as a generalization, I would say that more recent Muslim immigrants with limited education and limited economic means have not assimilated well. Now some on your list actually were well educated, so we have a more widespread problem.

Don't get me wrong, other groups don't assimilate well either. For example, poor Mexican illegals tend to stick to their own communities, with many never learning English. But boy do they learn about WIC and other social handouts quickly. In that regard they assimilate well.

Assimilation is a big problem with our society. I am actually for a more widespread halt to immigration (including Europeans and Asians regardless of religion) until we can assimilate those who are already here. But for the time being, I'll take the pause and better vetting from terrorist hotbeds.

KENNEDY63 likes this.
  2. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

You mean like the irish, italians, chinese, japanese, etc.? Most first generation groups don't assimilate well and your argument above has been said about every group of immigrants that ever came here. The second generation assimilates as does every generation after that.

I thought we just needed the pause so we could come up with more strict vetting? Even with the injunction the vetting process could have been done and implemented by now. You guys should really call this what it is, political theater to rile up the base for trump.

3. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

What do you call the judges stopping it?

YL03

4. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Past generations were let in largely in moderation, then immigration stopped to allow for assimilation. These folks in the past wanted to become American, they didn't segregate themselves to protect their heritage or religion, the ended up in Chinatown, Little Italy etc because that is where they could afford to live and work and sell their goods. Eventually they spread out and assimilated.

Today we have constant mass immigration with no expected assimilation, and a welfare state to lure more. It used to be folks came for the opportunity, now many come for the benefits.

The Uzbek who ran over folks came in on a lottery from a country that doesn't even want to come to the US ordinarily.

5. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

So - we only enact limitations AFTER people are dead? That would be government doing business as usual. People die, we vow to not be shaken, do some stupid hashtag stuff, and move on. At this point, the 90 days of the travel ban have obviously lapsed. But in winning, Trump has set an important precedent relative to the prudent use of executive power.

From Mother Jones (of all places):

"On his seventh day on the job, Trump signed the first version of his travel ban, an executive order barring nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States for 90 days and halting the refugee resettlement program for 120 days. After a federal court in Washington state blocked some of its provisions and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld that ruling, Trump signed a revised version of the ban on March 6.

In both orders, the logic for the ban was clear: to allow the federal government to marshal all necessary resources to conduct an internal review of visa vetting procedures and issue a report to the president. As the second ban, the one now pending before the Supreme Court, states (emphasis added):

To temporarily reduce investigative burdens on relevant agencies during the review period described in subsection (a) of this section, to ensure the proper review and maximum utilization of available resources for the screening and vetting of foreign nationals, to ensure that adequate standards are established to prevent infiltration by foreign terrorists, and in light of the national security concerns referenced in section 1 of this order, I hereby proclaim…that the unrestricted entry into the United States of nationals of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. I therefore direct that the entry into the United States of nationals of those six countries be suspended for 90 days from the effective date of this order… "

6. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I guess that means you are in favor of more gun laws. Because if it can save just one life...

Kennedy has gone full liberal on us.

7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Refresh my memory on where in the Constitution the rights of foreign non-citizens to enter this country with no oversight exists.

As a reminder, the individual right to bear arms is contained in the Second Amendment. :l You should thank me - you probably would have spent the rest of the day madly researching an answer.

8. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

We already have gun regulations. I'm sorry you think one more is necessary to just save one more life. Because it's worth it.